« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:05 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/us/georgi ... index.html

Read the PETA comment down the page.  These animals do not reproduce in captivity.  I say that they are simply heartbroken by their imprisonment.  

How would we know the truth?:

1.  They cannot talk to us and they cannot contort their faces to give us an indication of how sad they might be.
2.  All the information that we get are from the people who keep them in captivity and make huge income off them.  So you know, these captors are not going to tell us anything that would indicate that the animals should not be kept in captivity.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Oh if animals could talk!!!!!!  The truth is we need to be better listeners.........

The do need an autopsy I would think before drawing any conclusion, but I wouldn't doubt that captivity is unhealthy for them in many ways....
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:02 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Most scientists agree that they do think.  I would say that thinking occurs at least down through ALL the vertebrates and into some of the cartilaginous invertebrates.

1.  Would you agree or disagree?

I suspect future generations will perfect a medium through which man will be able to discern what the higher animals may have been thinking and trying to communicate.  

2.  Isn't it not necessarily that we cannot talk to them, but more that we cannot understand what they may be trying to say at one time or another? 

If they are thinking, they are also trying to convey at least some of those thoughts to their environment. This is obvious with the many species that emit various sounds.

We are vain to assume that we are the only thinkers.  We are not.  

3.  Agree or disagree?

After I lived a long time, I began to accept that listening is not something that humans naturally do well.  I know it is something I have had to constantly relearn.  I learned through discipline, and then forgot again and relearned again and again.  

It is a tragedy of the humans race that most humans, while overpopulating the Biosphere, have not made any effort to listen to what their co-dwellers may have been trying to say or wish they could have said.    

I have come to a point in my life where I am much more interested in possibly detecting what an animal may be trying to communicate, than I am in listening to what most humans are yakking about….most of the time.  :wink:
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:29 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Koko the gorilla can speak over a 1000 words and can understand over 2000 words spoken to her. She is now 44 years old and still loves kittens.

We don't listen much to each other let alone tothe animals. Takes a special level of consciousness I think....
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

4 posts |