« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Scotty on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 am
Scotty
Forum Contributor
If anyone cares to stop this sensless "thrill kill" event that will take place next January in Salmon, ID, comments will be taken until August 18 by the BLM, as much of the killing derby will take place on BLM land.

For the life of me, I can't understand this "kill baby kill" mentality.

For more information see:

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2014/08/ ... mon-idaho/
http://www.ecotonephoto.com
Topic Locked  

by jimbo on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 am
jimbo
Forum Contributor
I have hunted all of my life and will not apologize for it. But I do not like turning hunting into a contest,
It then becomes killing for the sake of killing, it is not necessary. But The BLM is a very poorly ran agency, what can one expect
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
jimbo wrote:I have hunted all of my life and will not apologize for it.  But I do not like turning hunting into a contest,
It then becomes killing for the sake of killing, it is not necessary.  But The BLM is a very poorly ran agency, what can one expect
Just a comment about the BLM....in my area (Central Oregon) compared to US Forest Service, the BLM really shines.  Leadership matters.
Topic Locked  

by jimbo on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:12 pm
jimbo
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
jimbo wrote:I have hunted all of my life and will not apologize for it.  But I do not like turning hunting into a contest,
It then becomes killing for the sake of killing, it is not necessary.  But The BLM is a very poorly ran agency, what can one expect
Just a comment about the BLM....in my area (Central Oregon) compared to US Forest Service, the BLM really shines.  Leadership matters.

Perhaps i should not have condemned all BLM areas, as it really does depend on area managers, it seems like all depts that control our natural
Resources are controlled by politics and politicians.  Resulting,in general terms, a placement of personnel and policies that result in usually poor
Performance.  Those at the highest levels are sometimes the least qualified.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:28 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor

It would be nice to see hunters take a stand against these practices that they all say they don't like. But I think they fear any disunity within the community that might cause a trickle down backlash maybe to their own hunting practices, so they say nothing.

We just keep playing into this insane man made ego based money merry go round that is just sickening.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by jeff Parker on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
Ignorance breeds ignorance and most of these types are proud to be ignorant. Check out a predator hunting forum.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It happens all over the west I guess.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-op ... e-southern

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/new-mexi ... s-protests

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yuh, this idea that predators are vermin is something that I thought had died decades ago, with the bounty system.
Topic Locked  

by jeff Parker on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Yuh, this idea that predators are vermin is something that I thought had died decades ago, with the bounty system.

Haha!  You're not from around here are you?  The attitude is coyotes are to be shot on sight, the dadgum govmint should be overthrown for bringing back those wolves our granddaddies got rid of and don't even get them started on mountain lions. 

Here in the great state of Texas mountain lions have the same legal status as cockroaches and rats.  Kill as many as you can as often as you can.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
jeff Parker wrote:
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Yuh, this idea that predators are vermin is something that I thought had died decades ago, with the bounty system.

Haha!  You're not from around here are you?  The attitude is coyotes are to be shot on sight, the dadgum govmint should be overthrown for bringing back those wolves our granddaddies got rid of and don't even get them started on mountain lions. 

Here in the great state of Texas mountain lions have the same legal status as cockroaches and rats.  Kill as many as you can as often as you can.
And now it's clear why we must change or we will have nothing but bacteria and farm animals.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

Last edited by pleverington on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I guess that in Texas, even alligators, bears and woodpeckers are considered "nuisance" animals:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... tain_lion/

Check out the list on the left side of the page.

One thing for sure, no matter how people have tried to eradicate coyotes, the range and numbers are only increasing. They will be around a long time!!!!! Poison, traps and shooting don't put a dent in their numbers. They are the most intelligent and adaptable animal I know. To hold contests to see who can kill the most is not only primitive, but it shows the mentality that still exists in the west and south. Around here, they are done in the name of "predator control", even though the more pressure is placed on them, the more the numbers increase.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A bill in the NM State Legislature that would have put an end to coyote killing contests was recently killed. Too bad the legislature just doesn't get it!

Joe
Topic Locked  

12 posts |