Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by pleverington on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
rabbit59 wrote:Is it possible something else is at play? For example, why did the earth go through a previous ice age? Did the cavemen burn too many fires? Or, does the earth go through various cycles and this happens to be a warming cycle? I'm no scientist but obviously they don't have all the answers either. Maybe, just maybe, it's nothing more than that. I don't know but I'm surely not going to believe the extreme views on both sides. I never have and I never will. Until we get data that is proven and not guessing will I be on board.

You need to do your home work. Start reading about those previous climate changes and also pay particular attention as to the time frames of which they took place. thousands of years--not tens of years.  Understand there is more energy locked up in the calthrates than in all the oil, gas,coal reserves of the entire earth and they are left over from the last ice ages. Once they start kicking out methane, a greenhouse gas way more powerful than CO2..lookout. Only because they are under pressure have they been kept at a temperature that keeps them in ice form. Once they start off gassing it will be game over for us. That and the frozen tundras of the world will send things spiraling out of control. Man has never been up against such a sudden change. If you need some proof just go to Glacier national park or visit Greenland. Talk to anyone over 60 and you'll not be a denier anymore. Or fencesitter..

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:44 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Something that never gets mentioned it seems, but people should realize. As we loose our ice cap and glaciers we are also going to loose our snow capped mountains. Most are not to aware of just how much the snow caps on the Rockies feed the interior of the country throughout the whole year but they do. Even in late June the river running through Glacier National Park is busting with more water than one can contemplate. The roar of it going by is deafening. If that disappears there will be very little to none water for the whole interior of the country's watersheds.

It's not just Glaciers and the planets ice caps...it's our entire ecosystems at stake. No way can we afford to screw that up..

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's another link:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... rome-burns

At the bottom of the article, there are links to other articles.

Here's some extreme science as a fix:

Climate Engineering

And one more:

Managing Global Warming Risks

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:09 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
How is this topic related DIRECTLY TO PHOTOGRAPHY AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME? This seems to run contrary to the rules provided by the moderators in another thread.
Many photographers have expressed a deep interest in becoming more aware of their environment, conservation concerns, and ethical issues. We have provided this forum for discussion of these issues as they relate directly to nature and nature photography. [...]

These topics are often emotionally charged, but we ask that that NatureScapes.Net guidelines be adhered to. Our site is for the discussion of nature photography issues in a friendly and civil manner. Posts outside the guidelines will be moderated. [...]

Please help maintain this forum by engaging in reasonable, lively discussions on the topics as they pertain to nature photography. - See more at: http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 8BUqf.dpuf
Topic Locked  

24 posts |