Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 20 posts | 
by ppowers on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:04 pm
ppowers
Forum Contributor
I just purchased Red River's Polar Matte 7x10 card stock and was pretty excited about printing on it. I've downloaded their profile and unfortunately the prints are coming out horrible. Really kind of smudged looking or like there's an awful lot of noise in the photos, which there are not. I'm working with Red River but I'm wondering if anybody has any bright ideas?

I'm really stumped! Thanks much.

Pat

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use that paper for 24x16 prints on the 3800 so I know it works and can look great. My first question would be if you are sure that the printer is switching over to the Matte Black ink? And are you printing on the correct side?

These kind of questions are always easiest to diagnose if you post a screen capture of the various printer dialog boxes!

by Randy Mehoves on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 am
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
I use the 7x10 Polar Matte for my card stock with the 3800 and I'm always impressed with the image quality. I'm wondering if you've got a nozzle issue, also do you have high speed printing turned off?
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by Mike Milicia on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:27 am
Mike Milicia
Forum Contributor
I make all of my note cards on that same paper on a 3800 and get excellent results.
Given how bad your results sound, I'm wondering if there is any chance that you are printing on the wrong side of the paper?
Mike Milicia
Online Classes | Workshops | Facebook

by ppowers on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:06 pm
ppowers
Forum Contributor
I'm definitely printing on the correct side, the whiter side and I've checked my nozzles AND I've turned high speed printing off. Definitely switching over to the matte black ink as well as I specify Enhanced Matte Paper. I've been printing for a long time so I get the process. I saw another post where someone else had the same problem as me and said they got "grainy" results. That's exactly how I'd describe what I get.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hmm, bad batch of paper perhaps?

by ppowers on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 pm
ppowers
Forum Contributor
That's what I suggested to Red River but haven't heard back yet on that idea... What I saw from another person is as follows: "I am encountering a graininess effect when printing on Red River Polar Matte with my Epson 3800. The problem is very noticeable in certain colour patches on the profiling target, and has been acknowledged by their technical support. " So it sounds like something Red River is familiar with. My question is, what are they going to do about it? I just bought 100 cards and envelopes and now they're useless to me.

by redriverpaper on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:37 pm
redriverpaper
Forum Contributor
Pat:

I sent you an email last night in our ongoing conversation. Please check it and let me know at your convenience.

Drew Hendrix
RRP

by ebkw on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I'm one of the people who had a terrible time when I first started using the Red River cards and a new 3880 at the same time. Grainy and smudged-looking. I was printing on the wrong side!
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Ken Kovak on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:38 pm
Ken Kovak
Lifetime Member
Member #:00550
Has there been a resolution to this issue?

Thanks
Ken
Ken Kovak - Lehigh Valley, PA
[url=http://kenkovak.naturescapes.net]Ken's Naturescape Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com]Ken's Website[/url]

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Wish I had an answer for you- have also had good experience with these cards. Got one batch with slightly bent corners which didn't print well- RR replaced them quickly.
Good luck!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ebkw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:09 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I too, like Cindy, I find that the paper sometimes isn't flat. I fan all the edges forward before placing a stack in the 3880. That seems to eliminate the printing problem I have experienced.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by jgunning on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 am
jgunning
Forum Contributor
You should fan (riffle is the printer's term) the edges of any stack of paper you are putting in a printer. When paper is cut in a guillotine paper cutter during the manufacturing process it tends to cause small fibers at the edge to stick the sheets together. The fan breaks the grip the fibers have on the adjacent sheet. Also, remember to wash your hands before handling the paper so you don't transfer oils from your skin to the paper.

In another life I was a journeyman printer for a number of years. We always riffled the paper before loading it in a printing press. Same applies to a stack of paper loaded in an inkjet printer.

Jim Gunning

by Bonnie Block on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:41 pm
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
I print my own notecards and have for years using RR Polar Matte. I have no problem on my 2400--they come out superbly, but I ran out of ink the other day on the 2400 and had to finish up on the 3800 and ran into the problem described. Lots of noise and too much ink.
I thought I was loosing it, so I rechecked everything--but to no avail.
Any answers here?

by Bonnie Block on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 pm
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
I print my own notecards and have for years using RR Polar Matte. I have no problem on my 2400--they come out superbly, but I ran out of ink the other day on the 2400 and had to finish up on the 3800 and ran into the problem described. Lots of noise and too much ink.
Any answers here?

by Bonnie Block on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 pm
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Any answers here?

by Randy Mehoves on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:52 am
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
Bonnie, did you change your paper profile setting from the 2400 to the 3800?
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by Alan Melle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:37 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
I also use RR Polar Matte on an Epson 3880 and have no problems with it. I use several sizes from the 7x10 cards to 17x25. Works very well with the RR Polar Matte profile on the 3880. Wish I could help!
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Bonnie Block on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 pm
Bonnie Block
Forum Contributor
Randy Mehoves wrote:Bonnie, did you change your paper profile setting from the 2400 to the 3800?
Sorry, Randy--I forgot about this thread.
Oh, yes--I have worked it over a lot and can find no errors in the settings. I do a lot of printing on the Epson and another Ricoh as well, so profiles are easy for me.
I just do not think that printer handles that paper very well. It might do better with a custom profile?

by Jackie Schuknecht on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 am
Jackie Schuknecht
Forum Contributor
Moab makes really nice cards. Museo Artist cards. I print on them with the 2400 with no problem, although I have to do a lot of tweaking in the soft proof. No experience with RR cards though.
Visit my website at www.jackieschuknecht.com

20 posts |