Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by ebkw on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I am enlarging an image to 48" and have a 24" monitor. At what size should I view the image to see how the sharpening looks?

If I can see the whole image at 12% at what percent would I be able to see the sharpening results at full size? When I make it 100% the view is way bigger than the printed image would be.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It would depend on what PPI you are using for the print.

by ebkw on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:49 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I use 360 PPI which is, I think, the native resolution of my printer.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
And you monitor is approximately 90ppi so that would mean 90/360 or 25% would be a decent approximation of on screen size compared to print size.

by ChrisRoss on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:15 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Viewing at 50% gives a good representation of sharpening on the finished print. I generally will view at 25% and 50% and make a judgement of sharpening based on the what I see in both views, 50% will show up sharpening aliasing and other defects better than a 25% view. I just use ctrl + and Ctrl- to toggle from 25 - 50% views and back again.

What I generally do is adjust the sharpening when looking at a portion of the image at 50%, scroll around the whole image to preview what the USM has done to various parts of the image, fine tune the USM, then view at 25% and scroll around again. I tend to make look very slightly oversharpened at 50% as the image will soften a little when printed. More often than not I will seletively sharpen, applying no sharpening to very dark areas, skies etc where noise will potentially be an issue and where there is no detail to sharpen.

You definitely want to be at a whole number magnification either 25 or 50% as other values give you aliasing problems in PS.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by ebkw on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:22 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Chris, much appreciated!

6 posts |