« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by James Vellozzi on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:22 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hi
I have not been using my Epson 3880 printer in a while. Just too busy. What is proper protocol for when I start printing again? Should I take the cartrigages out and shake them? Thanks for you help.
James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Wayne Fox on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:49 pm
Wayne Fox
Forum Contributor
Shaking won't hurt. However, I would describe the process as "agitate" rather than shake. A somewhat gentle motion, probably for a minute or longer, turning them over. I usually do 3 or 4 cartridges at a time.

However, agitating the cartridges is more about their overall life. They don't settle out that easily. Epson recommends shaking them before installing because they could have been sitting for a year or more. Then they assume you will use them up with 6 months (and if you don't their solution is replace them) They can easily last much longer than the 6 months. If they've been installed for 6 months or so, it might be a good idea to agitate them. Otherwise, just because the printer hasn't been used really doesn't matter.

by Dave Kocher on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:40 am
Dave Kocher
Forum Contributor
I used to lift my 3880 at the front and rock it for a minute or two every week or so, wondering if it was necessary all the while.
One time when I was talking to Epson support, I asked if that was worth doing. The answer was it wouldn't do any good, so I stopped doing it and have observed no ill effects.

3 posts |