« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Martin 095 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Hi everyone,

In the past I have done my own matting, which often leaves me hunched over a make shift table that holds my mat cutter. Soon after that the back pain starts. I would like to make this process easier on myself and was wondering if any of you that do you own matting have a dedicated table for this purpose. If you do, did you buy it or make it yourself. A google search was only marginally successful at generating ideas. If you are willing to share where you purchased your table or your personal design (I have an idea what I need but could benefit from someone else's opinion), I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA for your help.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by brianz on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:54 pm
brianz
Forum Contributor
I use three of these Uline tables. I have two 3x5 tables and one 3x6 all together to make a big 6x8 work area, which is enough to hold my 48" mat cutter with squaring arm, my Rotatrim paper trimmer, and a big workspace for the matting/framing process.

http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables

The tables have adjustable heights, and I have mine set to the maximum 35" height, like a tall kitchen island, so I can very comfortably work standing up. No stooping or bending. The tables are extremely sturdy and well-machined. They are quite heavy though.

Not the cheapest option, but I'm thrilled with it so far.
Brian Zeiler
Nature and Wildlife Galleries:
http://brianzeiler.zenfolio.com

by Martin 095 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:55 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the help Brian - I appreciate it very much.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by mda photo on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:03 am
mda photo
Forum Contributor
i have an old drafting table that i am thinking of repurosing to a mat catting table, looks like just what the doctor ordered. you can adjust the angle and height of the top. i think i got it for about $75 on craig's list.

by Les Voorhis on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:33 am
Les Voorhis
Forum Contributor
Member #:01066
Martin 095 wrote:Hi everyone,

In the past I have done my own matting, which often leaves me hunched over a make shift table that holds my mat cutter. Soon after that the back pain starts. I would like to make this process easier on myself and was wondering if any of you that do you own matting have a dedicated table for this purpose. If you do, did you buy it or make it yourself. A google search was only marginally successful at generating ideas. If you are willing to share where you purchased your table or your personal design (I have an idea what I need but could benefit from someone else's opinion), I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA for your help.
Martin,

Is this a table that you want to take up and down or will it be left up permanently? If it is permanently, I will send you pictures of the table we have designed for our shop that allows for mat storage underneath. It works really slick.
Les Voorhis
Focus West Gallery, Framing and Gifts
http://www.focuswestgallery.com
http://www.outdoorphotoworkshops.com

by Martin 095 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:17 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Lee,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks!
Best wishes,

Martin

6 posts |