Tower Falls with Rainbow

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Tower Falls - Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
EOS 1Ds, 24-70 @ 24mm, 1/60, f/11, ISO 100

If there is sunshine, you can usually capture a rainbow at some point of most waterfalls but knowing the time when it occurs is the trick. The closer you are to the base elevation, the earlier the rainbow will appear in the morning (and later in the evening). For example if the base of a 200 foot waterfall has a rainbow at 8:00AM, the top will have it about 1 1/2 hours later. I knew from Joseph Lange's guide that the base of Tower Falls gets a rainbow at about 8:30AM in June but I also know that ever single time in his book is off by 30 minutes to 1 hour resulting in you missing the rainbows if you plan on arriving close to the time in the book. The morning I got to Tower Falls after driving quite a ways from West Yellowstone I got a nasty surprise. I was there early enough but the trail had completely washed out and was barricaded closed - of course, typical for Yellowstone, there were absolutely no signs along the trail up until the point of closure. At this point I had to scramble and find an alternate way to the base of the falls. Fortunately I still made it after an extra half mile in some treacherous terrain and got a number of shots with a nice rainbow. I utilized a polarizer to punch up the saturation of the rainbow.

As an aside, if you use Joseph Lange's Photographers Guide to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, note that virtually every word written in it about sun angles and times are off. Its like he forgot to change his watch to daylight savings time when he timed these things as most things occur about an hour earlier than his summer times. There are also grave errors about sun angles - in some cases he claims certain falls never receive direct sunlight any time of year. Every single one of them that he claims this for are bathed in full sunlight in June from about 11:00 to 2:00. Some of the photo technique advice is way off too. The book is great as a guide for where to go but for times and technique, stick to your instincts, they are usually right where the book is often not. He likes to suggest mid morning for a lot of things and then use an enhancing filter - hogwash! OK, I'll get off my soapbox now - its still the best book on the subject but needs a complete rewrite in some areas for accuracy.

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by stevebein on Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:32 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Awsome shot. I think I have to get his book, or your guide book (HINT) for Yellowstone before my next trip.
The strength of the rainbow is wonderful. Well done, as usual.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Neil Fitzgerald on Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:18 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
You really should write the book. This shot is great.

by Laura Stiefel on Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:50 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
I just opened this image from my computer at work. You should have heard all the "oohs" and "ahhs" from the rest of the women here. :)

I love this as do the 5 other women standing around my desk!
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Paul Skoczylas on Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:16 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Awesome!

To add a bit to the advice... At the centre of every rainbow wll be the shadow of your head. (Okay, it might be a virtual shadow--if your head is not in the sunlight, it obviously won't cast a shadow.) What this means is that to see a rainbow at a waterfall, the sun needs to be shining on the mist from behind your viewpoint--it doesn't need to be from directly behind, but it needs to be close enough...

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Laura Stiefel wrote:I love this as do the 5 other women standing around my desk!
I need to meet these women :lol:

by balazs on Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:18 pm
balazs
Forum Contributor
Wonderfull image, as ususall. I did not know that you can saturate a rainbow with a polarizer.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
balazs wrote:I did not know that you can saturate a rainbow with a polarizer.
Oh yes, the effect is dramatic!

by jimtom on Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
jimtom
Forum Contributor
E.J.,

Beautiful shot, and thanks for the great info.
Best Regards,

Jim Tomisser

[url=http://www.jt-photo.com]www.jt-photo.com[/url]

by Love Bug on Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:25 pm
Love Bug
Forum Contributor
S P E C T A C U L A R !!! :wink:

10 posts |