Moraine Park- lower perspective

Posted by Cindy Marple on Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Moraine Park
Rocky Mtn National Park
I do prefer the lower perspective here compared to my other post. I would really rather have done this looking more to the left to have more of the snow-capped peaks but that was the direction where my shadow was squarely in the image and no way to get around it that I could find, with a lower perspective. I could get out of it but not the tripod. Anyone have any suggestions how to deal with this differently?? I'm heading to Banff next week and may encounter similar frustration there. :?
Canon D30, 17-40 at 21mm, 1/45 at f/22, iso200, tripod
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

Posted by:
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038

by BK on Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:12 am
BK
Forum Contributor
Hi Cindy! Imagine running into you at this location a couple of weeks ago. :D

The sun was at our backs and the shadows were VERY long, so you're right -- I also got one picture I like very much but for my shadow in the shot. I plan to just crop and use the top of it.

One way to deal with this that I found while I was there was to shoot with the river in the foreground. My shadow didn't show up against the dark water.

Very nice shot, both this one and the other you posted. Nice running into you, and I hope you had a good day of shooting! :D
Brian Kennedy
[url=http://www.briankennedy.net]briankennedy.net[/url]

by Rich S on Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:09 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Very nice, but I think I prefer your first shot there. Different strokes, I guess. If it were a little more to the left, more mountain and flower more right, that would likely reverse my picks. Both are very nicely captured.

Rich

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I know this spot :) I too would like to see a bit more of the mountain by reorienting yourself. There weren't any orchids blooming when I went just a few days before you.

by balazs on Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:17 am
balazs
Forum Contributor
I like this one better! Very nice shot. Have you tried to move the lens closer to the flower?

by AndrewC on Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:00 pm
AndrewC
Forum Contributor
If you had a t/s shift lens you can easily deal with your shadow problem. "Shift" is the technique whereby you can take a photo of a mirror without appearing in it or indeed keep your shadow out of a scene when shooting with the sun at your back. I believe Canon make a 24mm TS-E (?) lens which would be ideal for you.
Andrew

Is that an accurate dictionary ? [i]Charlie Eppes[/i]

http://www.tirpor.com

by cogard on Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:32 am
cogard
Forum Contributor
They both look great to me...well done.
Charlie O.
http://www.pbase.com/cogard

by BK on Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:12 am
BK
Forum Contributor
Just a quick note -- AndrewC's suggestion is a good one, but the shadows were SO big on this morning, that even a T/S lens wouldn't have helped you here, Cindy. As you know, I was shooting at this location with a view camera, with 4 inches of shift and rise/fall, and my own shadow was extremely difficult to keep out of the frame no matter what I did to avoid it -- at least in the direction we wanted to shoot! :)

The best bet for me was to use a longer lens, so I could capture the scene without my shadow (not an option if you wanted to get flowers like this in the foreground without view camera movements) or move to where the water was in the foreground, obscuring my shadow.
Brian Kennedy
[url=http://www.briankennedy.net]briankennedy.net[/url]

8 posts |