All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by Alan Melle on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
I'm getting banding on prints using photo paper, which is, of course, what I print most. A nozzle check confirms clogs but cleans up with one cleaning. The printer works fine with 24# bond paper and doesn't clog up at all until I try to print photos. I have confirmed that a nozzle check always shows clean until I use photo paper, but it shows banding almost immediately and a subsequent nozzle check shows clogging again. It almost seems like the print head is hitting the thicker photo paper, smearing ink which drys and clogs. This is not happening with regular bond paper but it happens every time I try to print on photo paper.

Any ideas or am I in the market for a new printer?
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Jim Neely on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:51 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Member #:00100
Alan, I haven't used the 2400, but on the 2200 there is a lever to control the thickness that has to be used for envelopes. On the 2200, I gave more problem with bond paper than with photo paper.

Good luck.

jn
[b]Jim Neely - Dripping Springs TX[/b]
jim(at)jneely.net [url=http://www.jneely.net]Jim Neely Nature Photography[/url]

by Alan Melle on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:03 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Thx, Jim. No lever on the R2400 although there is a box in the Settings to check for thick paper. I'm not using thick paper though, just the same luster paper I've been using for years now.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Jim Neely on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:12 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
What happens if you do set it for a thicker paper?

jn

by Alan Melle on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:34 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Interesting! Nozzle check prior to printing a photo with the thick paper setting box checked showed all clear. Set for thick paper the photo printed on regular 68# photo paper with no banding and a subsequent nozzle check also showed all clear. Looks like a viable short term solution but not so sure about long term. I'll also have to try printing on heavy paper and see what happens. My confidence with the three year old printer isn't exactly very high right now either!

Thx, Jim!
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Jim Neely on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Alan,

I have a friend who has a house in Austin and an apartment in Richmond VA (his wife teaches in VA) with 2400s in each location. He does his printing from the laptop he hauls back and forth and each printer is different. I think he has to have different drivers for each printer. What a PITA.

jn

by Les Voorhis on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 pm
Les Voorhis
Forum Contributor
Member #:01066
Alan,

Something else to try...since you're in Arizona where it is a little on the dry side, you may try putting a humidifier next to the printer in an attempt to raise the ambient humidity. We needed to do that with our 7880, 2400 and 1400. All of them were having clogging issues (especially the 2400) and raising the humidity helped tremendously. Something else to try. Good luck!
Les Voorhis
Focus West Gallery, Framing and Gifts
http://www.focuswestgallery.com
http://www.outdoorphotoworkshops.com

by SeanStacy on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:06 am
SeanStacy
Forum Contributor
I have got Epson R-D1.
But I am facing some problem with it now.
It's not capturing picture clear.
I am looking for some advice!
[url=http://www.858graphics.com/Trade-Show-Displays/Outdoor-Banner-Stands.html]Outdoor Banner Stands[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sean, welcome aboard. Since this is a different problem, it would be best tio start a new thread. Also be very specific with what problem you are having so that we can try to help.

by Jackie Schuknecht on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:04 pm
Jackie Schuknecht
Forum Contributor
I have the 2400 and was getting banding just on the edges. Tried nozzle cleaning etc., to no avail. I took it in for a cleaning ($80) and the found some pet hair had been clogged in the rollers. I know cover the printer with some lint free material and has worked with no problems since the cleaning. My printer is just over three years old too.
Visit my website at www.jackieschuknecht.com

by Alan Melle on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
No pets although I may be losing some hair :lol:

I've got a 3880 on the way so I'll probably arrange for a clean, check and adjust on the R2400 after the new printer gets set up. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions everyone!
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You will not miss the lower level printers. The 38xx series is fantastic and is far ahead of the 2xxx series. You will be pleasantly surprised.

by frank-williams on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 am
frank-williams
Forum Contributor
I had the same problem with my 2400 and after ringing Epson, they told me a new head was needed at a price of 200 uk pounds.I GAVE IT AWAY.

by pleverington on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:58 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
If the media slips in any way as it is being fed through the machine you can get horizontal banding. Check maybe that your feed rollers are clean. Photo paper is relatively thin so this is a possibility I would think. I run two portable air cleaners in my print room at all times cause dust does build up.Where you live it is probably a bigger factor. Dust on the rollers can cause the rubber to loose it's grip.

Did you do a print head alighnment?

Do you print with High speed off? Have you tried to print at 2880? Try these to see if the problem goes away.

There's a remote possibility you have a bad cartridge. Ink feed relies on suction on the 2400, so it is sensitive to any ink feed problem--which may not show up in a nozzle check, but when you get going on a print you could encounter ink starvation due to the heavier demand for ink.

just some ideas.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Alan Melle on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:44 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
The R2400 was not used heavily but it was used regularly. Also it had regular cleaning, including cleaning the rollers. I did do a print head alignment and I normally do not use high speed printing. I did a nozzle check every day as soon as I turned the printer on.

Having recently upgraded to the terrific 3880 I don't think I'm going to spend any more time or money trying to fix the R2400. Once you step up to a pro level printer there is just no going back. If anyone in AZ wants to pick up a free R2400 that may or may not need a print head let me know!

Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by pleverington on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:27 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I don't blame you Alan. Hey you might want to keep it and set it up for black and white work with a custom black ink set. Just an idea. Glad your lovin the 3880.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

16 posts |