Early Evening Deer

Posted by cappoldt on Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
While photographing swallows in Chicago's Botanic Gardens, I looked to see I had some company. She didn't seem to mind me at all, so I clicked away while she ate. This is the closest I've ever been to a deer in the wild - that is, if you want to call the Chicago suburbs "wild."

I'm playing with composition on this one, thinking about a vertical 2:3 starting at her lower neck in the bottom-right corner, which should just keep the sunlit flowers to her left. Thoughts? Thanks!

Nikon D70, Nikon 300mm f4 with Kenko 1.4x teleconverter, f5.6, 1/160 sec on aperture priority, ISO 400. JPEG "large."
Chris Appoldt

Posted by:
cappoldt
Forum Contributor

by TSparger on Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:44 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I think I would perfer it as you have posted it here. I love those greens and the shot looks super sharp even on my laptop screen. Great job.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:57 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Sweet shot Chris, nice setting and lovely alert expression. There appears to be a slight green cast which can be corrected in PS.

Being a fan of close up shots, I think your idea of the vertical would work just fine! 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Carolyn E. Wright on Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:08 am
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
Beautiful shot. The light is very nice and the BG is good. I think the vertical would be a smidge better, especially since the deer's back end is so close to the edge of the frame. If you had stepped to the left a tad, you'd avoid the brighter vertical lines just behind the head. Those can be PS'd, too.
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Retired Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:43 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
I like the feeling of this one, def late or early light and wonderful green fore and backgrounds. Agree on a slight color shift, maybe even cyan, but my monitor here is questionable. Had the deer turned its head slightly to its right the light would have been cast on the eye closest to the camera, but wildlife is not always so cooperative.. Nice post and thanks for contributing.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by cappoldt on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:56 am
cappoldt
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone! This is actually my first post here. I'm humbled by the wonderful photography you've all contributed, and shall delight in the viewing of them, as well as the constructive criticism to improve my own. I'll check out those color shifts, and maybe even post a few more of this deer that I grabbed that day. . .AFTER cropping in on this one and sharing, of course! :)
Chris Appoldt

6 posts |