Tuolumne Meadows in Spring

Posted by Jens Peermann on Fri May 21, 2004 7:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Taken on the first day Tioga Road was open this year. I had that place all to myself.

EOS 3, Canon 25-70/2.8 L @ 70mm, f/16, 81 B, Astia 100F, Tripod. 5/14/04
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by Ken Cravillion on Sat May 22, 2004 9:32 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
There is a lot going on in here and you did a nice job with it. Does seem a bit contrasty though in the FG.
Ken Cravillion

by Juli Wilcox on Sun May 23, 2004 4:16 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
This one is much better, however, as Ken has mentioned, it's a bit contrasty on my monitor as well. Where is this? Colorado?
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 26, 2004 10:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A beautiful scene - the JPEG compression and aggressive sharpening really hurts the quality of the image as displayed here.

by Jens Peermann on Wed May 26, 2004 10:27 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J.,

You hit the nail right on the head. Over the past few month I had produced progressively worse scans by trying to improve images with all kinds of unconventional twists and tweaks. Like a cook throwing every available spice onto a dish. It was fun and kinda educative too. But I got so carried away that I ignored the results.

Last weekend I finally woke up and started to revise my scanning techniques. I am now getting the results I want with only a few, simple steps, but it took a little while to arrive there. That's why I have been silent on the forum for the past few days.

I will be silent for another few days because I am leaving for a shoot on the Oregon Coast tomorrow. A rescan of this image is the first thing on my list after I'll return on Tuesday.

Nevertheless, I am glad I posted this and other bad scans here, because without the critizism of you viewers I would never have snapped out of my spicing frenzy and gotten my head straight. Thanks to all of you! This is what makes this forum valuable to me.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

5 posts |