soft evening light

Posted by blovius on Tue May 18, 2004 9:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
a quintessential adirondack summer evening on a quintessential adirondack lake.

blue mountain lake, ny, c adirondacks

you can see a larger version here

AdirondackLight
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

Posted by:
blovius
Forum Contributor

by Carolyn E. Wright on Tue May 18, 2004 10:20 am
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
Nice mood shot. I wish the paddler was not cut off on the left side. Good motif shot.
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Retired Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by Ken Cravillion on Tue May 18, 2004 2:21 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Hi Mark, I knew you'd like this motif... :D

The paddler on the left helps the image flow from left to right. I almost get the feeling of the hand of man disappearing as we travel left in this image.
Ken Cravillion

by AForns on Tue May 18, 2004 4:11 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
This is so Cool..... love the soft light

Congratulations
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by AlexC on Wed May 19, 2004 12:38 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Very nice Mark, creative and well captured, Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Ken Cravillion on Thu May 20, 2004 12:58 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Hey Mark, what are your thoughts on this image? Just curious... :)
Ken Cravillion

by blovius on Thu May 20, 2004 8:42 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
ken,

i'll guess that that you're interested in my motivations for creating the photograph, not a critique of it.

i created the photograph because i was there and the light and air were very intriguing. the stillness and quiet represents a typical just-before-sunset adirondack summer experience.

the paddlers were headed towards my position and i knew that they would add an element of gentle movement to the otherwise static scene. i also was struck by the fact that all of the mechanized forms of watercraft seemed to be respectful of the quiet.

i chose to create a triptych instead of a continuous panoramic (i had my panoramic camera with me) because i like the visual dynamic created by breaking the scene into individual components.

as a continuous pano, the photograph would create a very pleasant mood and be an attractive representation of the adirondacks. the eye would flow pretty seamlessly across the surface of the print.

as a triptych, it is still collectively pleasant and attractive, but the eye is forced to deal with individual segments of the scene. consequently, the photograph(s) also become a statement about photography and the selective eye of the photographer. each individual segement of the triptych creates a very different interpretation of the scene (which you recognized in your first comments/post). there is a story that flows from left to right (or vice versa) that would not be so readily apparent in a continuous panoramic.

does this answer your question?
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by Ken Cravillion on Thu May 20, 2004 1:15 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Yup, thanks for the reply.
Ken Cravillion

8 posts |