All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by TSparger on Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:58 am
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I was recently reading back over some of John Shaw's books regarding exposure in which he notes that transparency film has a five stop exposure latitude with 0 being medium tones and having two stops above for lighter tones and two stops below for darker tones. I was wondering if anyone knows what the comparable latitude is for digital media?
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Actually exposure latitude is probably not the right word although it is often used interchangeably. What you are referring to is really the exposure range but the point of your question is understood. Slide films typically fall in the 4 to 5 stop recording range where you only have 4 to 5 stops from the brightest to the darkest that you can record without losing some detail Human vision is in the neighborhood of 11+ stops while print film is around 7 to 9 stops. Digital is typically around 6 stops but the additional range is all on the dark end. If anything, digital is less tolerant of bright highlights but can record a lot more shadow detail. Hope this answers your question.

Exposure latitude is more commonly refered to as how much you can miss an exposure by and still record the scene. That very muc depends on the scene itself but for slide film it is typically pretty small - perhaps 2/3 of a stop. Print film is much better in this regard and digital is in between but again the latitude is to the under exposure side only.

by TSparger on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:25 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
That answers the question very adequately. I apologize for the wrong terminology.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No apology needed, it is quite often referred to this way even in books.

by Cindy Marple on Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:05 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Very timely, I'd just been asking this question myself! I need to poke around in this forum more often. Thanks.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

5 posts |