Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by prichardson on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 pm
prichardson
Forum Contributor
I am considering this combo for travel and hiking. I currently use a cheap old Velbon aluminum tripod for travel, mainly because I don't care what happens to it, but it is not necessarily the most stable or compact. I only use a Canon Xsi with EF-S lenses for light weight hiking. The only lens I might consider adding is the 400 f5.6.

Does anybody have any experience with this combo? The 400 f5.6 might be a bit too long for this outfit.

by Tsmith on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 pm
Tsmith
Forum Contributor
I have a Gitzo GT0530 Mountaineer Carbon Fiber 6X + Markins Q3 and must say its served me extremely well for a light weight hiking combo. The tripod and head tip the scales at 2.5 lbs. The EOS 50D + 70-200 f/4L are no problem at all and honestly I don't see where a lens like the 100-400 or 300 f/4L IS would be either, just use common sense. I generally don't use the tripod fully extended.

I did have the Kirk BH-3 but decided it was slightly too much for the tripod. Sold it off and just got the Markin's Q3 and its a perfect fit.
- Toney

by prichardson on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 pm
prichardson
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the reply Toney. The Markins Q3 seems to be the choice ballhead for a travel setup. It is mentioned quite a lot on forums. Actually, my other thought was the Acratech UBH for the lightest possible route, but it does not get as much positive feedback. This photo of your rig looks familiar? Another post perhaps. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Philip

by scot079 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:16 am
scot079
Forum Contributor
The Markins Q3T was made specifically for the GT1541T. The base of the head is smaller so it doesn't overhang like a Q3 will. Not sure about the Kirk head but owning a Q3T myself, I can recommended it w/out reserve.

Here's a review on POTN w/ lots of pictures.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=538298
Tim Adkins
Odenton, MD
[url]http://www.timadkinsphoto.com[/url]

by prichardson on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm
prichardson
Forum Contributor
I currently check my tripod when flying. It is not worth stealing. Something as expensive as a 1541T would have to be carry-on luggage. I guess there is no trouble with a carry-on tripod?

by scot079 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:43 am
scot079
Forum Contributor
I always check mine. As long as you have an updated insurance policy on your gear you're good. The photo gear policy is usually a rider/extension off of your homeowner's or renter's policy.

Of course I wouldn't recommend checking cameras or lenses. "Fragile" means "Football" to the postal workers and baggage handlers.
Tim Adkins
Odenton, MD
[url]http://www.timadkinsphoto.com[/url]

6 posts |