« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by wjgarwood on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:52 pm
wjgarwood
Forum Contributor
I'd like to send my Nikon 500mm AFS lens back to Nikon for a general cleaning and calibration check. I've had the lens for some time now and feel at times that the focus could be sharper at the longer distances. I was wondering if anyone else has sent a similar lens back and what experience the've had? Any idea of the cost and turn around time? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bill

by Mark Robinson on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:09 pm
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
Bill,

I sent my 600mm AF-S in for reasons similar to yours. I also had a distinct grinding when focusing, and was convinced the "ultra sonic" motor was shot. The lens was checked, cleaned, and adjusted. It turns out that on its return, the same problem occured with my D2x. Sent in the camera, and had that serviced. The problem I had was actually camera related, but my lens was about eight years old, and a service was in order.

The lens was serviced well by Nikon Melville, and if my memory is accurate, it cost approx. $350.00. Turn around time was about two weeks, which seemed like years!

It might benefit you to send in both your camera, and lens, so both can be checked for compatibility, and a perfect adjustment.

Good luck.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by wjgarwood on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:10 pm
wjgarwood
Forum Contributor
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I plan on calling Nikon tommorow to set it up. Did you notice any improvement in the lens afterwards?

Thanks again,

Bill

by Mark Robinson on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:27 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
wjgarwood wrote:Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I plan on calling Nikon tommorow to set it up. Did you notice any improvement in the lens afterwards?

Thanks again,

Bill
Bill,

Big improvement, but since I also had my camera serviced, I can't say that the lens service alone was the fix. Two years and many clicks later, both are still perfect.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

4 posts |