Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by jim daniel on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 am
jim daniel
Forum Contributor
I'm headed off to Uruguay again the 1st of September. My new Nikon 600VR will go with me and it currently has the drop in filter that came with it. Do you use (really use) any other drop in filters with this lens? I never did with my two previous long lens (500 & 600 II) and always had good results. Our subjects will be large waterfowl in flight.
I will appreciate knowing what others are doing relative to the drop in filters with the 600VR.
Thanks for sharing :D

by Steve Fines on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 am
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
I've got the drop in polarizer but have to admit rarely using it.

by George DeCamp on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:43 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Never have either and I had a 500 AF-S and currently have a 200-400vr and a 600vr.....never felt the need but maybe I just don't know any better! :oops:

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The problem with these large lenses is that quite often, especialy in desirable light, we are already shooting at shutter speeds that are marginal for the focal length especially since these lenses are usually used on moving subjects, polarization would just cut too much light even though it might make many photos look better by saturating colors or eliminating reflections. For this reason I never use them. Any other filter besides a polarizer would be a waste with the digital tools available today.

by Mark Picard on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I use the drop in polarizer quite often on my 200-400mm VR because I use that lens often for macro work. I have the 600 VR (same drop in), but don't use it at all on that lens because of lower light as E.J. mentioned. However, you could send your Nikon drop in to Singh-Ray and they will replace the Nikon filter glass with theirs that's 2/3rds of a stop brighter (and warmer). All for a mere additional $250. :wink:
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Alex Lofquist on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:24 pm
Alex Lofquist
Forum Contributor
On my 500 f/4 I use a drop-in Skylight or 51B filter on occasion, but mostly I have a polarizer in there. (If any at all.) It is really the only practical place for it, to avoid ghosts and flare and the ability to adjust the angle without contortions.
If there are an infinite number of universes, why was I stuck in this one?

by jim daniel on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm
jim daniel
Forum Contributor
Thanks so much guys....now I know what to do.

7 posts |