Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by dougc on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:34 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
Those of you using AA batteries in your cameras in place of the factory rechargeables, are you using throw aways or rechargable. What brands?

Thanks!

by Greg Downing on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I generally use AA's in my flash - not the camera. Though since getting the battery grip with my 5DII I may have a reason to try AA's in the camera. For flash anyway the rechargable high powered NIMH batteries are far and above the alkaline ones you buy in the store in terms of refresh rates and longevity. The ability to charge over and over is also a huge bonus and is more green at the same time. I have found that PowerEx batteries are the best performing. They come in two flavors; ones that have a higher mah rating and ones that hold a charge in the bag for up to a year, still with a decent mah rating. I have been using the same sets of batteries for YEARS and they keep on going!

Check them out here: http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=73
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bob Ettinger on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:04 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
What Greg said --Powerex at the NSN store
Bob Ettinger

by brianz on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 am
brianz
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:I generally use AA's in my flash - not the camera. Though since getting the battery grip with my 5DII I may have a reason to try AA's in the camera. For flash anyway the rechargable high powered NIMH batteries are far and above the alkaline ones you buy in the store in terms of refresh rates and longevity. The ability to charge over and over is also a huge bonus and is more green at the same time. I have found that PowerEx batteries are the best performing. They come in two flavors; ones that have a higher mah rating and ones that hold a charge in the bag for up to a year, still with a decent mah rating. I have been using the same sets of batteries for YEARS and they keep on going!

Check them out here: http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=73
Interesting. The regular store bought rechargeables (alkaline?) are useless, but I didn't know there were NiMH with better results. I think I'll try them.

Greg, have you tried these in the external battery pack for Canon flashes as well, with good results? I always use the external battery pack along with the 580ex and/or MT-24.
Brian Zeiler
Nature and Wildlife Galleries:
http://brianzeiler.zenfolio.com

by Ed Erkes on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:47 am
Ed Erkes
Forum Contributor
I use the AA battery pack for my D300 since it gives me a higher frame rate than the Nikon rechargeable battery. I use POwerex rechargeable batteries for the camera and my flashes. I do carry some nonrechageable Everready AAs for those times when I'm temporarily out of charged Powerex batteries.
Ed Erkes

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I do what Greg and the others do.

Brian, rechargeable AA's are NiMH not alkaline. Alkaline batteries are not rechargeable and if you try you could cause an explosion.

by Greg Downing on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:58 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Brian,

They work equally as well in an external pack. Note that the charger is as important as the batteries themselves. A "smart" charger or one with the ability to soft charge and condition gets you the most out of the batteries, on each charge as well as the long run. Some chargers simply "charge" until the battery gets hot - cheaper ones obviously - and have an effect on the chargability of the battery as well as reduced longevity over the long haul. Both of the Powerex chargers we sell offer these features; one is an 8 cell and the other a 4-cell that is more portable for travel -and even includes a car charger! I own both. I actually own 3 of the 8 cell chargers for when I do my hummingbird workshops as I often have as many as 96 batteries being used at once! And, as I have said, I am still using the same batteries going on 4 years now!
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Scott Linstead on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 am
Scott Linstead
Forum Contributor
I have used Sony CycleEnergy (aka Sanyo Eleloops) in the D300 grip. They are a slow charge compared to other NiMh, but they hold their charge for a loooooong time unlike some rechargeable AAs that I have owned that lose their charge in 7 days if left unused.

by Greg Downing on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
The "Emedion (link)" batteries work the same way and hold up to 85% of their charge for up to a year. Same technology different branding.
Greg Downing

by John Labrenz on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:38 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Ditto with Greg...I've been using NiMH rechargeables with my SB800 since day one...they work great. The only negative with my conventional Sanyo NiMH's, as Scott has pointed out, is the fact they will quickly lose their charge when not in use.
I have also heard that both the Eneloop and Emedion rechargeables are far superior in holding charges long term.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:10 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I use Sanyo Eneloops for the flash and keep the battery grip tray loaded with six of them in case the 511s die unexpectedly (never needed them so far). If Eneloops - or identical batteries under a different brand name - are not available, Rayovac Hybrids are a good 2nd choice. They hold 85% of the charge for only 6 month, but that's still a lot better than 7 days from Energizer batteries. I use the Rayovac Hybrids for wireless mice and keyboards. Both types come with only 2100 mah capacity, but an operating 2100 mah battery is a lot more useful than a (self-) depleted 2700 mah battery.

E.J. Peiker wrote:
Brian, rechargeable AA's are NiMH not alkaline. Alkaline batteries are not rechargeable and if you try you could cause an explosion.
Rayovac did manufacture and market rechargeable alkaline batteries and the chargers to go with them; some eight or ten years ago. I used them mostly for flashlights - the ones that show you the way to the restroom at the campground at night - but also for camera and strobe when the weather was cold. Alkalines function better in cold weather than other types of batteries. They also held the charge a lot longer than NiMHs available at that time.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by dougc on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:21 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone! Sounds like PowerEx gets the nod.

12 posts |