« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by wirinhar on Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 am
wirinhar
Forum Contributor
Dear All,

I was told that Nikon has designed a special Right Angle Viewing for convenient in taking Macro and Landscaping.

The DR-5 can only be attached with D1x/D2x/D2H/D3 and D700. I was thinking to get one for my D700 but before getting it, I think this is the right place to get more information on it.

So what do you think, Gentlemen??? Have anyone used this one before???

Regards,
WW
Regards,
WW

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 02, 2009 8:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Angle finders can be useful especially for stationary subjects low to the ground. They often have a nice feature that allows you to magnify the image for more critical focusing too.

by DOglesby on Sat May 02, 2009 9:14 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Yes, got it and it's fabulous. Love it. Pricey though. But, like EJ said, if you are shooting low to the ground it is a lifesaver (especially for your back!). Very convenient and clear viewing.
Cheers,
Doug

by BobF on Sat May 02, 2009 10:53 am
BobF
Forum Contributor
With live view LCDs becoming more prevalent (and soon to be in all new DSLRs I'd imagine) I wonder if angle finders will be as useful going forward?

That said, I've got a Hoodman angle finder. I like it and it works well. It's saved me from some pretty ugly contortionist possibilities.
[color=#000000][url=http://www.rf-photography.ca]RF-Photography[/url][/color] [color=#000000][url=http://rf-photography.ca/blog]Blog[/url][/color]

by DOglesby on Sat May 02, 2009 4:42 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Unless the LCD tilts and perhaps swivels I can't see how live view would replace an angle finder. And even in that case you would have to fight off glare. The angle finder still has the edge in my opinion.
Cheers,
Doug

by imagenes_vivas on Mon May 04, 2009 6:32 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
I use the angle finder Canon model in my Canon reflex and I found it's a good accesory for flora and low to the ground photographs. I doubt you can focus so well in a tilted LCD. It's a good buy.

by dbostedo on Mon May 04, 2009 8:21 am
dbostedo
Forum Contributor
I doubt you can focus so well in a tilted LCD.
Given that you can zoom the image in an LCD with live view, and really see the detail, I'd guess you could focus better on a tilted LCD. (I know there are landscape photographers out there who use live view to get more accurate focus. I'd guess that same applies to macro.)
David Bostedo
Vienna, VA, USA

by DOglesby on Mon May 04, 2009 8:34 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
You can zoom the view in an angle finder too. Granted you can't zoom it as much but you can still zoom it.
Cheers,
Doug

by Luvntravln on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:22 am
Luvntravln
Forum Contributor
I love it; my back loves it; my knees love it; my wife loves it because I do not home muddy pants.

What more can I say?

Oh yeah, love the Hoodman Loupe too! :-)

Cheers, Jay

by biologist on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 am
biologist
Forum Contributor
I have had one for several years.. works great.. also give you a image in the correct orientation not upside down. If you are interested there are 3rd party finder as well from Hoodman and others.
If you want a Dr-5 just look around and you can find them used at times...
Eric the Desert Rat...
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99

10 posts |