Mountain laurel

Posted by Kelly on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:01 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
I really was trying to show the feeling of a forest completely filled with mountain laurel blooms, as is the case here in mid-June. This shot doesn't really show that, but all the others were too cluttered. The slide shows the actual blooms much sharper.

Canon Elan 7e, 28-135 IS, Velvia 50, 1 second, f19. Thanks!
Kelly O'Neill

Posted by:
Kelly
Forum Contributor

by thapamd on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:06 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
Kelly, this image looks plenty sharp to me. The subtle pinks again the different shades of green are lovely. This was a difficult subjct, I'm sure, and I think you've done a nice job of capturing the scene. Sometimes what looks pretty to the naked eye just can't completely be duplicated on film...I've found that out the hard way :-)
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

by Ken Cravillion on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:13 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
I like this too. You have do a wonderful job composing the flowers with the forest. I the light is really nice on these as well.
Ken Cravillion

by John Zinn on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:22 pm
John Zinn
Forum Contributor
Very nice Kelly. I know how hard is to capture such a large scale view as you had intended, especially when in the woods. Perhaps it would be possible to build on a shot like this. Get close to the flowers for a strong foreground, but also instead use a higher viewpoint so you are looking down on them with the tops of the bushes receeding into the forest. Good luck and keep shooting.

John

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I really like this one a lot. The colors are good and it has excellent sharpness and depth of field.

by Alexandre Vaz on Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:24 am
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Actually I imagine what you were looking after but I IMO the image isn't abstract enough to work as a pattern, and not strong enough to work a solo subject. I fell the lack of point of interest to hold on.
Hope you don't my my sincere critic. The image is technically Ok and has a certain beauty but I feel my eyes browsing around, no knowing were to "rest".

by Svein-Frode on Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:48 am
Svein-Frode
Lifetime Member
Member #:00152
Very nice capture Kelly. The only thing I miss is a little more light and detail on the tree to make it stand out more.
Svein-Frode

by Dan Baumbach on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:57 am
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
You gave yourself a difficult task and I think you did it well. The image as posted here looks plenty sharp and the composition works well too. Well done.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by Eric Fredine on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:55 pm
Eric Fredine
Forum Contributor
They are beautiful flowers and I like the texture in the trunk. I've also been trying to do shots like this (in anticipation of fall) but frankly without much luck - I find it very difficult to capture an image that is 'clean' enough for my tastes. I think this is a nice image, but it needs to be cleaner or with a more ordered composition to make it really strong (though FWIW I think it's better than what I've been accomplishing!).

by robert hasty on Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:01 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Beautiful image Kelly, i think a touch less dof would have made this one perfect. Still a very nice image. I like it!!

robert.......
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:59 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
I think you've captured this quite well. There's a lot going on here and yet it doesn't appear too busy.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

11 posts |