Motif: Little Blue Heron

Posted by Noel on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
At least I *think* this is a Little Blue Heron (my books and I are separated at the moment). Seen at the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee Wildlife Preserve.

I'm critical of this shot; I think the BG is a bit too busy and the bird is just dark enough that the blue color doesn't help to set it off enough. I really think I need a Canon 500 f/4, don't you? :) But enough of what I think. I'd really love to hear your thoughts and feelings.
Canon EOS-10D, 100-400 zoom @ 400mm, f/5.6, 1/200 and cropped some.

-Noel
[size=75][i]Edits, reposts, and constructive criticism of my work always welcome![/i][/size]

Posted by:
Noel
Forum Contributor

by Jim Urbach on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:44 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Noel,

I prefer clean BGs but there is nothing wrong with showing this little blue in his normal habitat. You have to make the most of what nature gives you each time out. I like it.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by AForns on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:45 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Agree with you assessment totally. If that bird would have moved to a clear area I can just imagine. The color of the water complements the bird and would have made a great image.

BTW when you have to shoot from above (like at Loxahatchee) with the 500 the birds look better due to the flatter angle. Seems that you are a lot lower than what you actually are! Would not be a bad idea to have one....only because it is practical :lol: :lol:
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:50 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
BG works fine for me. This is his natural habitat.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by fredcor on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:58 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
You are correct about the BG. But, wildlife does not pose for us, we have to make the best interpretation we can. You have the bird in it's typical setting. I just wish they came up here, I've never seen one, they look so beautiful.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Jim Neely on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:29 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Member #:00100
Noel, everyone needs at least a 500/4 L IS, if not a 600. :D

500 or not, this is a very nice habitat image. Your 100 - 400 did well with your guidance.

A little flash fill might make it pop a bit more.

jn
[b]Jim Neely - Dripping Springs TX[/b]
jim(at)jneely.net [url=http://www.jneely.net]Jim Neely Nature Photography[/url]

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:15 pm
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Noel, the Little Blue Heron is done nicely. My personal taste dictates that I avoid high key water, which in this image is much more distracting than the very acceptable foliage. Please take this as a personal preference rather than as a criticism of the image per se.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by Dan Barthel on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:30 pm
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
A little fill flash with a better beamer and your new 500 and you've got it :D
NSN 061
Dan

by AlexC on Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:59 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Noel wrote:
I'm critical of this shot; I think the BG is a bit too busy and the bird is just dark enough that the blue color doesn't help to set it off enough. I really think I need a Canon 500 f/4, don't you? But enough of what I think. I'd really love to hear your thoughts and feelings.

Noel, what you need here is a balanced fill flash and maybe just a tad over on the fill +2/3EV, this would light the bird nicely while underexposing the reflecting water, Above you'll see what I mean, it was done quick and dirty!! Also, the 500mm could help for reasons already given, great lens albeit pricey!! But what's not pricey today ??
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Peter Wallack on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:54 pm
Peter Wallack
Forum Contributor
I like your image. I really appreciate the thread you started and the information Alex and others provided. I too am thinking about a 500 lens but I want to use my 100-400 for one more year. I will have lots of time for the 500 later but it seems that it can produce BGs unlike my 100-400.

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:57 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Noel,

This is a very nice shot. The pose is excellent. I don't mind the habitat here (except for maybe the one reed coming out of the top of his head). Alex's idea of underexposing to darken the water is on the money.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Noel on Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:21 pm
Noel
Forum Contributor
Thanks all, and especially Alex! I took Alex's idea even a bit further with the highlights and shadows tool in PS CS. I'm surprised at how much manipulation this image could stand up to. I also added a bit of vignetting to help tunnel into the subject and make the environmental elements a bit less distracting.
-Noel
[size=75][i]Edits, reposts, and constructive criticism of my work always welcome![/i][/size]

by Jill on Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:17 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Noel, Alex's repost is a vast improvement. And yours is major!!! Glad I tuned in late ... looking good!!! :D 8)
Jill Rosenfield

by Dan Barthel on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:41 am
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
Add a little catchlight with the pencil and save it as finished.
NSN 061
Dan

14 posts |