Howler Monkey

Posted by Jerry Merrell on Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Howler Monkey, Costa Rica

Howler monkeys are the largest of the new world monkeys and the loudest land animal. The only animal louder than the howler is the blue whale. They are primarily herbivorous and are sometimes attacked by harpy eagles and white-faced monkeys. Like many rain forest animals their numbers are dwindling due to loss of habitat.

D1x, 600f4, 1.4x, iso 400, 1/500, f5.6 (manual).

I have a box full of monkey slides but no howler shots that I am really happy with. Almost all my previous howler images were shot from a steep angle with strong backlighting. During a recent visit to Costa Rica I spotted a group of howlers in a forest canopy. After noting their direction of travel, I hiked several hundred meters to get above and ahead of them. I was lucky that the clear area I found also provided nice frontal early morning lighting and the chance to shoot down on a subject that was about 15 meters above the ground. This male howler was the only member of the group that presented an unobstructed shot. I like this shot because it shows the howler using his prehensile (grasping) tail and also demonstrates the characteristic coloring. You can also see a sagging area under the chin that allows the male monkeys to howl so effectively.

Comments and critiques welcome.
Jerry Merrell

Posted by:
Jerry Merrell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00210

by Dennis Olivero on Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:35 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Wonderful shot and very nice clear image.. I appreciate the background information also. Scrolling on the screen here, seems a little stronger with a little off the bottom (some of the oof leaves) but I realize you are leaving room for the legs not totally seen. . I like the attentive gaze. Thanks for posting..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Jill on Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:11 am
Jill
Forum Contributor
A superb capture, Jerry!!! I love seeing this howler in habitat!!! Thanks for the fascinating narrative as well. 8) 8)
Jill Rosenfield

by Carol Clarke on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:44 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Wonderful catch of this male Howler in his natural environment Jerry! Perfect crop to leave room for the virtual legs and lovely alert pose. 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by DC on Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:57 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Wonderful shot Jerry, great colouring.

They had some howlers at a zoo we visited last year and boy, are they ever loud :shock:
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by NDCheryl on Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:38 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Jerry,

Excellent shot of this howler showing so many characteristics-too bad we cannot hear it as well! thanks also for the BG information.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Noel on Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:05 pm
Noel
Forum Contributor
Nice pose in a wonderful environmental shot, but the monkey is a tad dark (yes, I realize it's part black)... Seems like a good job for a shadow recovery tool. Would you mind a repost?

-Noel
[size=75][i]Edits, reposts, and constructive criticism of my work always welcome![/i][/size]

by Jerry Merrell on Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:19 pm
Jerry Merrell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00210
Noel wrote: ... Would you mind a repost?

-Noel
Noel, be my guest. I am still a PS neophyte and always learn something from reposts. I use PS7 and would be interested in how the recovery tool in CS is comparable to tools I have in PS7.

Thanks, Jerry

by Karen S on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:00 pm
Karen S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00021
Cute monkey...nice environment included here.
[b]Karen B. Schindeldecker[/b]
[b]NSN 0021 [/b]
[url=http://www.natureswildlight.com][b]Nature's Wild Light [/b][/url]
[b]Minnesota, USA[/b]

by Noel on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:28 pm
Noel
Forum Contributor
Here's where I would take this image. I used one of my shadow recovery actions in PS version 6 (I have both PS 6 and CS installed for compatibility testing). You could get the same effect with the shadows/highlights tool in PS CS. I also balanced the shadows a bit toward blue.
-Noel
[size=75][i]Edits, reposts, and constructive criticism of my work always welcome![/i][/size]

by Matt Cox on Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:16 pm
Matt Cox
Forum Contributor
Excellent capture of a beautiful primate, Jerry. It sounds like you made the most of the situation to get the shot you want.
Matt Cox

by Jim Urbach on Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:21 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Jerry,

Neat image and well worth the effort. Noel's repost certainly is an improvement.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Kelly on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:16 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Jerry, great work! I like how you captured this monkey in mid-stride. It brings back memories of a hike in a Guatemalan rainforest when a pair of these scared the wits out of me with their howling.
Kelly O'Neill

13 posts |