Sunset

Posted by robert hasty on Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 

Another raw conversion, my 2nd. Comments always welcome and very appreciated. I think my little issue may be resolved from my last post. Pixel settings are a funny thing :roll: :wink:

Thanks a bunch,
robert.............

10d
tripod
300mm@2x
warming filter
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

Posted by:
robert hasty
Forum Contributor

by Roger Rouch on Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:08 pm
Roger Rouch
Forum Contributor
Robert, I have to admit that this looks slightly odd to me. The colors are great, but it looks like there is an unnatural red halo around the sun and some how its position looks out of place. Maybe needs more of a horizon to anchor it or something. Just one guys opinion. As an abstract it's sort of cool.

by robert hasty on Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:14 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Thanks Roger, this image is straight off the camera with only a small crop from the bottom/contrast and usm. I shot about 10 of these and they all have the "halo". Im not sure myself what it is, maybe heat from the sun or something? I dont know, maybe someone else can better explain this. Im curious myself. Dont think the warming filter has much to do with it, though once again, im just not sure. I kinda like it actually :D

Thanks again,
robert........... :wink:
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Anders on Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:50 pm
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
Robert,

I like it! Nice reds. Good composition.
I can't explain the halo effect. Are you sure the lens was in focus?

Anders

by Campbell on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:25 am
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Halo or no halo, its still a cool shot.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by Ken Cravillion on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:26 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Nice red light.

Could the halo be some type of flare?
Ken Cravillion

by robert hasty on Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:38 am
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Anders wrote:Robert,

I like it! Nice reds. Good composition.
I can't explain the halo effect. Are you sure the lens was in focus?

Anders

That is an excellent question Anders, honestly, no im not. At that distance and given the light :shock: i was looking into, hard to tell. It just might be slightly oof.

robert............
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The halo is due to the following: when you stop a lens down and the aperture opening gets smaller, light bends around the corners of the aperture grill causing a haloing. It's not lens flare, its the laws of physics. The only way to make this less is to open up the lens more and reduce the exposure time or add neutral density filtration to make up for the wider aperture.

by robert hasty on Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:33 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Thanks for clearing that up E.J, it makes sense to. This was shot at an iso of 100 F11 at 1/20th of a second. Perhaps a higher iso larger aperutre and faster ss would have been ideal. Im learning :D

Thanks again,
robert...........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]

by Anders on Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:48 pm
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
EJ,

I don't understand. What you describe is diffraction, which indeed limits lens resolution at small apertures. But this halo seems way excessive... After all, people take relatively 'sharp' images even at small apertures. I also notice that the sun here isn't 'hot', so there isn't a tremendous contrast difference between the sun and the clouds. I could see how the effect could be attributed to diffraction if the contrast here was very much higher, so that even a minute ammount of light diffracted away could create a halo that wouldn't be visible under normal contrast conditions.

Could you please elaborate?

Anders

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
With long lenses the effect is pretty pronounced - point a 500 or 600 at the sun, stop it down and you will always get a pretty large halo. Some of it is probably due to some light reflecting off of lens elements and not transmitting as well as no glass is 100% efficient.

11 posts |