All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:00 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
This morning we received a complaint that one of our registered users sent an email to a group of photographers, including members from another site, with information about this site. The e-mail was apparently unsolicited.

We immediately sent this person an e-mail informing them that recruitment in this manner is discouraged and may very well be a violation of the Terms of Use of the other web site by retrieval of member email addresses for solicitation purposes.

Upon inception of our site we made it clear to staff/moderators that unsolicited emails of this nature are against our policy.

We wanted to bring this to the attention of our registered users in an effort to prevent this from unwittingly happening in the future.

Please don't hesitate to e-mail us at editors@naturescapes.net if you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Guy Tal on Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:14 am
Guy Tal
Forum Contributor
Very unprofessional of the poster, and downright offensive to many of us who worked hard to make the "other" site the excellent resource that it is.
Thank you for discouraging this kind of petty meddling and mongering.
Let's make this about nature and photography.

Guy
[url=http://guytal.com/]Web[/url] | [url=http://www.facebook.com/guytalphoto]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://twitter.com/guytalphoto]Twitter[/url]

by Alexandre Vaz on Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:54 pm
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Ok, I like to assume what I do, so I was the odd beast, who sent an e-mail to some (not that many) photographers sharing the discovery of a new web site in which they could find some old friends and certainly some great photographers.
It was my mistake for not evaluating the consequences of such act, but I never diminished or bashed any other site, and I even said I thought the "other site" is still great. So, I was not suggesting for people to leave it (I didn't).
When I understood the impact of such attitude, I immediately apologized to everyone involved.
Although I believe I haven't done any thing wrong, I also apologized to the Editors of NatureScapes for any inconvenience.
Considering sending "unsolicited e-mail", forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure what it is? I just e-mailed some people who have their e-mail visible on a Nature Photography community to speak about a related subject. Is that a crime?
I'm very said with what I heard from some people I had in high regard, but this is the last one you hear me speaking about this unfortunate episode.

Best

by Campbell on Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:45 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Alexandre,
Very thoughtfull of you to step up and explain this. Thank you.

Guy, a small note......
This morning we received a complaint that one of our registered users sent an email to a group of photographers, including members from another site, with information about this site. The e-mail was apparently unsolicited.
and downright offensive to many of us who worked hard to make the "other" site the excellent resource that it is.
There was no mention of a specific site. :wink:

This is a good reminder for us all to becarefull with how we "recruit" others. It will surely make me think more than twice. :D
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by mgreg on Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:37 pm
mgreg
Forum Contributor
Some time ago, there was only one list I looked at and sometimes contributed to both with postings and with images. Another new list came into being and I divided my time between the two lists. On the first list, I happened to post something complimentary about the first list and later, I posted to the second list giving my heartfelt welcome and offered an opinion as to the friendliness and the style of critiques on the second list. Imagine my surprise when this was brought up on the first list by someone who obviously reported back to list one. Well, it caused a firestorm from the top down and as a result, I decided to ease off my participation and my usage of list one. Now there are three lists or forums I view, two more than the other but I still view the postings mainly.

I only post this since I can see the potential for problems once again with your excellent addition. I hope not, I also hope that those who actually use this site, and the other site, are not reporting back and forth as to what is said so problems occur. Quite frankly, the person who did this is immaterial, he/she knows who he/she is and I am over the sting. Please do not let this happen here. I value the help, training and exposure to great images and do not want this to be warfare between site.

Best wishes for continued success but most of all, for the peace and quiet to accomplish what you wish to do.

Mel

by Geo on Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:45 am
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Dan on Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:19 am
Dan
Forum Contributor
Yes mass emails are what get me as well. I said some things as well Alex and I should have known better. For that I'm sorry M8t, no more mass emails though ok ;)

NPN I don't have a problem mentioning at all. I will also mention naturescapes on NPN also. Why is there a problem with that. Sometimes I wonder. Photmigrations is another, is there something dirty in those names.

Look folks, I have friends and photographers I truly respect posting at all 3, no problem what so ever.

NPN, NSN, PM are not dirty words, they are nature sites with darn good nature photographers and people on them. Thats a simple fact IMHO.

As I said somewhere else, can't even remember where now, too darned confused with all this lot. "Photographers first, the photography and talents are a bonus".

All the best to ALL, I love the lot of ya :) One great site here with great PEOPLE on it. Greg, you may have to delete this one mate, sorry if you do.

Danny.

BTW, hey Geo great to see you M8t :)

Last edited by Dan on Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Mark on Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:49 am
Mark
Forum Contributor
Dan wrote:NPN, NSN, PM are not dirty words, they are nature sites with darn good nature photographers and people on them. Thats a simple fact IMHO.
well said Danny! I couldn't agree more.
Mark

by Greg Downing on Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:21 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Hi all!

I want to make it clear that I am not upset with Alexandre for what he did. It's my belief that this was something done without intent to do harm and there was a mis-understanding of sorts.

The reason for my post above was to make others aware so that they don't make the same mistake.

Alexandre, I accept your apology. You are welcomed here as anyone else is and your participation is appreciated.

As for the discussion about what site to support: come here with any frequency you like and feel free to participate elsewhere as well. It's all about the photography.

Now let's get back to why we are all here! :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

9 posts |