« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Paul Grecian on Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:33 pm
Paul Grecian
Forum Contributor
I've read that the sensor on the 1Ds gathers dust and that it is one of the problems with this camera. In application, how much of a problem is it and what have users done to limit the impact? Has Canon indicated an improvement in the 1D MII? Does anyone think its enough of a problem on the 1Ds to keep them from buying one? Thanks for your thoughts/insight.

Paul

by Greg Downing on Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:45 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
It's actually less of a problem than the 1D because of the sensor type. That being said there are some precautions you can take:
  • -Always change lenses quickly and carefully with the camera turned off.
    -Be sure to keep your lens caps and camera cap clean.
    -Keep the backs of you lenses clean.
    -Don't change lenses in a windy or dusty area. If you have to do so upside down and do it fast.
    -When changing converters remove the camera from the lens with the converter still attached to the lcamera, then once the new converter is installed on the lens quickly remove the converter from the camera and mount the camera to the lens again. If only removing the converter and not adding another, do the same and remove the converter from the lens first to reduce the amount of time the camera is left exposed.
    -Carry a large bulb blower to clean any dust from the sensor, such as the one we sell here on NSN: http://www.naturescapes.net/retail/hakuba.htm
    -Follow directions in the manual on cleaning the sensor periodically.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by MikeBinOK on Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:01 pm
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
I've never understood the advice to turn the camera off while changing lenses, am I missing something?

As I understand it, the sensor is beneath the anti-aliasing filter. Dust will only get to the filter if it is already present beneath the camera body cap, and quite close to the edges of the AA filter. The charge from the CCD or CMOS will only be able to attract this dust that is already inside the body, and very close to the edges of the filter. It should have no effect at all on dust outside the camera.

That's the way I see it. What's missing from this picture? :?:
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Last edited by MikeBinOK on Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Greg Downing on Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:06 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I only mentioned turning off the camera because Canon recommends it in the manual. There may be other reasons besides dust attracting to the sensor, such as the electronic connections when the lens in mounted or dismounted. That being said I rarely follow the directions on this one, but thought I would err on the side of caution when providing advice to others just on case there is a reason I am unaware of.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by MikeBinOK on Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:09 pm
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
At least I'm not the only one who doesn't quite understand, then!

I'm also interested in this, because if the price drops enough (due to the 1D mk. II, and rumors of a 1Ds replacement), I'd consider getting a 1Ds for macro. But at the f/stops used for macro, dust would be a big problem. So I'm very interested in feedback from those who have experienced dust problems (or lack thereof!).
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

by Matt Cox on Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:59 pm
Matt Cox
Forum Contributor
Paul, the 1Ds is generally more prone to showing dust in the image file because the surface the dust lands on (the AA filter), is closer to the image sensor than on the 10D and some others, thus it appears more in focus. I suspect the 1D Mark II won't be any different. As for is it a problem in use, the answer is not particularly. As Greg listed, there are lots of ways to minimize the amount of dust that gets into the imaging cavity of your camera, and ultimately into your image file. The most time I've had to spend dust spotting a 1Ds image in PS is about ten minutes, and although I clean my sensor with the spatula method when I think its really warranted, I don't follow very many precautions in the field to avoid dust. The amount of time dust spotting 1Ds images is always going to be much, much less than was required for scanned film.
Matt Cox

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What Matt said plus the sensors area is MUCH bigger making it more prone to catching a spec of dust.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a 1Ds replacement - why replace something that has no competition?

by Rich S on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:10 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Concur with Matt and E.J. but two additional thoughts. First, for me the biggest problem isn't keeping it clean but in getting it clean to begin with. (And yes, I'm a "spatula" user.) Seems that I can never get the last couple of specks off the sensor - so I under up sweeping them to a corner (top left) where I know where they are and can easily remove them afterwards if/when necessary. And second, dust really doesn't become an issue until you're somewhere over f11. I find f16 or higher "my corner" becomes an issue to address, but at f8 or less it's tough to notice even with a clear blue sky.

Rich

by Paul Grecian on Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:47 am
Paul Grecian
Forum Contributor
Thanks all for your replys. I don't understand why f/stop matters here however, if someone can explain that. Also, I find EJ's comment about there not being a likely replacement important. Does anyone think there are improvements based on the 10D and Mark II that Canon would feel compelled to put into a new 1Ds? My thinking is that Mark II sales may compete with 1Ds sales and Canon may want to improve their higher priced model if for that reason alone.

Paul

by Geo on Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:18 am
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Matt Cox on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:33 am
Matt Cox
Forum Contributor
Paul, the reason the dust appears more at small aperture is because the smaller the light source, the sharper the shadow of the dust on the sensor. With a really small aperture, you have a point source, and with a wide aperture, you have a diffuse source. Kind of like why you see a sharp shadow of yourself on a sunny day and less or no shadow when there are clouds in the way diffusing the light. As for whether or not the 1Ds is due for an upgrage, I don't think it will be this year. It still has no competition, sells for its original price, and they can use the lack of market pressure to spend more time making the upgrade that much better. Two new pro bodies in the same year would eat into each others sales, which makes no sense.
Matt Cox

by Dan Creighton on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:44 am
Dan Creighton
Forum Contributor
Paul- Simple, consistant, and minor maintenance pretty much makes it a non-issue. Sure you have to blow the mirror off once in awhile and occasionally "spot" an image after conversion but it still produces a file that is much cleaner than scanning slides where you had the same problem. I look at it like this- I had to blow off every slide I would mount to scan and even then I would "spot" the scan in at least one spot. Now I do it once.

Some folks like to use sensor swabs to clean regularly. I don't and haven't yet. However if it got really bad I would. In that case because the sensor doesn't sit out by itself but is butted up against the inside of the 1Ds it is more difficult to get it clean in comparison. However don't let your camera get to the point that it needs it. If it does it may be worth just having it cleaned by Canon anyway.

Would it keep me from buying one? Hell no. I've had my order in for the MKII for a long time and you already know I own a 1Ds.

As for the comment above about the 1Ds not being replaced any time soon... well I know I can't hold my breath that long but just wait there may be more surprises this year.
[color=red]updated>[/color][url]http://www.dcphotog.com[/url][color=red]<updated[/color]
and my photoblog [url]http://www.photogeneralist.com[/url]

by Dan Creighton on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:49 am
Dan Creighton
Forum Contributor
Matt Cox wrote:As for whether or not the 1Ds is due for an upgrage, I don't think it will be this year. It still has no competition, sells for its original price, and they can use the lack of market pressure to spend more time making the upgrade that much better. Two new pro bodies in the same year would eat into each others sales, which makes no sense.
The 1D2 will eat into the 1Ds sales, believe it. There is enough that can be upgraded say 1Ds2 style even aside from a significant pixel count increase, if any, that you should expect something. Think Digic2, faster FPS, larger buffer, better LCD, better zooming on preview, ETTL2 (though I think this should be firmwared personally), etc.
[color=red]updated>[/color][url]http://www.dcphotog.com[/url][color=red]<updated[/color]
and my photoblog [url]http://www.photogeneralist.com[/url]

13 posts |