Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Chuck Peacock on Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:16 pm
Chuck Peacock
Forum Contributor
I'm wondering how many of you 10D users use parameter settings other than "standard" with sRGB and how many use the Adobe RGB for RAW images? More specifically why do you use either?

Neither Photoshop Elements nor PhotoImpact allow you to change the working color space to my knowledge. However, when I "tag" an image with adobe RGB in PS E. it does look better in either program.

So I guess I'm asking a second question: I know there is a difference between "embedding" and "appending" profiles. So what exactily am I doing in PS E when I save a file "with" Adobe RGB?

Hope this isn't to vague. Thanks for any input!
Chuck

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I shoot in RAW so the way the camera is set is unimportant since I select the color space in the RAW processing. But, if you want to select one, I would recommend Adobe RGB because it is a much wider gamut recording many more colors than sRGB does.

by Chas on Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:21 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
E.J., nailed it, Adobe RGB records more color than sRGB. If you shoot in jpeg I suggest you set the camera to Adobe RGB. Moreover, it is best to print in Adobe RGB, but convert to sRBG for web posting, as this will better display your image.

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Chuck Peacock on Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:38 pm
Chuck Peacock
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys, looks like I'm really going to have to get a program that will convert and embed profiles.

On second thought, will Breeze Browser let you convert the RAW file with Adobe RGB and extract the jpeg with sRGB - separately?? (shooting w/ RAW + jpeg)

I guess I could shoot in sRGB and embed Adobe RGB when converting the RAW file right? That way the jpeg will be tagged with sRGB.?

Still wondering what exactly PS Elements is doing when saving a file with AdobeRGB?

Sorry for dumb questions - it's a pretty steep learnin' curve for me.
Chuck

by Greg Downing on Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:00 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Keep in mind that when shooting in JPEG mode and in Adobe 1998 you cannot enable in-camera sharpening and you image will need a healthy dose of USM out of the camera. This is due to the 10D's anti-aliasing, which results in slightly softer originals than other DSLR's.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Roger_Cavanagh on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:29 am
Roger_Cavanagh
Forum Contributor
Chuck Peacock wrote:Thanks guys, looks like I'm really going to have to get a program that will convert and embed profiles.

On second thought, will Breeze Browser let you convert the RAW file with Adobe RGB and extract the jpeg with sRGB - separately?? (shooting w/ RAW + jpeg)

I guess I could shoot in sRGB and embed Adobe RGB when converting the RAW file right? That way the jpeg will be tagged with sRGB.?
Yes, that will work OK. You can set the camera parameters for sRGB, sharpness, etc. and use the extracted JPG, which will have had your chosen options applied. Colour space, like all other settings, can be changed to whatever you want for BB conversion.

Regards,
Roger
http://www.rogercavanagh.com

by Bob Ettinger on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:13 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Adobe RGB and Breeze Browser will work fine for RAW images.
Bob Ettinger

7 posts |