Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by eSearing on Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:04 am
eSearing
Forum Contributor
Wanted to check with the regulars here to make sure I am understanding what I have read.

1) When shooting raw Adobe rbg - I can not control in-camera sharpening/contrast/etc...

2) When shooting raw sRBG the settings in camera do not really matter because they can be changed in post processing without losing data. I would think this would impact the jpeg however.

So does it matter if I set Sharpening , Contrast , saturation, color-tone 0, and have them as selectable sets (1-4)?

If I set them all to +2 would I still have +2 more available in post?
Eric
[url]http://www.esearing.com[/url]
[url]http://www.biz-story.com[/url]
Persist without Exception

by Steve Mekata on Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:53 pm
Steve Mekata
Forum Contributor
eSearing wrote:Wanted to check with the regulars here to make sure I am understanding what I have read.

1) When shooting raw Adobe rbg - I can not control in-camera sharpening/contrast/etc...
Yeah, that's correct.
2) When shooting raw sRBG the settings in camera do not really matter because they can be changed in post processing without losing data.
Yep! Though, some might disagree that it doesn't matter from a workflow perspective.
I would think this would impact the jpeg however.
Yep!
So does it matter if I set Sharpening , Contrast , saturation, color-tone 0, and have them as selectable sets (1-4)?
It's just for convenience, so once you get to your computer, those parameters are already set.
If I set them all to +2 would I still have +2 more available in post?
Nope. What is happening is that the parameter values are saved separately in the file along with the raw sensor data. The raw sensor data itself is not affected by the parameters.

When you then go into the Canon File Viewer Utility (for example), it reads the parameters in the raw file and sets those parameter values as the default raw conversion parameters for that image. You still have the option to change the parameter values before doing the conversion. So, it's completely optional.

If shooting JPG, it actually creates the JPG image with those parameter values. This makes sense since what it's really doing is taking the RAW data, applying the parameters, and doing the RAW conversion to JPG internally, as opposed to on your computer.

For RAW, it's really just an option to manage your workflow, when it comes down to it.
[b]Steve Mekata[/b]
[url=http://www.stevemekata.com/photography/index.html]www.stevemekata.com[/url]

Last edited by Steve Mekata on Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Greg Downing on Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:17 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Steve got it all right. :)

FWIW I shoot with a parameter set (which forces you out of Adobe RGB, as discussed) and when I open an image up in BB (before converting) BB is already set up to assigning the image the Adobe RGB color space by default, overriding the parameter set. All other in-camera settings (sharpening etc.) are pre-set according to the parameter set, unless I decide to change them prior to conversion.

I find this easier than having to check the sharpening, etc. at each image conversion.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
To add to what the others have said, what parameters you set the camera for when shooting in RAW really don't matter since you will be making the choices that you want such as sharpening, color space, etc prior to final RAW conversion anyway. If you are using Breeze Browser you can set the preferences to automatically export everything to PS in Adobe 98 and with whatever sharpening level you select - therefore it has no implications on workflow.

by Greg Downing on Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:48 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
I think Steve and I both pointed that out, E.J. but I think it does make a slight difference in work flow to set the parameters in the camera because it saves you a step in BB not having to add the preferred amount of sharpening etc, each time you convert an image, since BB reads these settings and applies them already.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by eSearing on Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:08 am
eSearing
Forum Contributor
now now boys, be nice...Some of us are dense and slow to catch on so all the answers are appreciated, even if redundent or said more than once.

eSearing
Manager of the rendundent departments of redundency and repitition.

I have not failed, I have found 10000 ways that do not work.
when I find all the ways that do not work, what ever is left over, will work.
Eric
[url]http://www.esearing.com[/url]
[url]http://www.biz-story.com[/url]
Persist without Exception

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Greg Downing wrote:I think Steve and I both pointed that out, E.J. but I think it does make a slight difference in work flow to set the parameters in the camera because it saves you a step in BB not having to add the preferred amount of sharpening etc, each time you convert an image, since BB reads these settings and applies them already.
If you want BB to do any sharpening other than what is set in the camera you do have to select that so that could be a small step in the workflow but PS does a much better job of sharpening anyway so that one only has impact if you insist on letting the RAW conversion do any sharpening. As for color space, BB can be set-up to automatically convert in AdobeRGB regardless of what space the incoming file is coming in as from the camera so no workflow impact at all due to this. Exposure comp, if needed is better handled through the RAW converter but thats to fix problems in the initial exposure. Saturation and contrast are much better handled by PS so again no workflow impact. White balance - I prefer to shoot in AWB and then fix any problems prior to conversion so that is an extra step in the workflow but one I'll gladly take rather then constantly messing around with the in camera WB.

by Greg Downing on Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:09 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
eSearing wrote:now now boys, be nice...Some of us are dense and slow to catch on so all the answers are appreciated, even if redundent or said more than once.

eSearing
Manager of the rendundent departments of redundency and repitition.

I have not failed, I have found 10000 ways that do not work.
when I find all the ways that do not work, what ever is left over, will work.
ROFLOL, we are being nice :) We aren't arguing, just having friendly conversation back and forth. E.J. and I never get into disagreements. ;) If fact we are conducting a workshop together as we speak. :D

Anyway, to add to E.J.'s last post my work-flow with the 10D always includes a slight amount of in-camera sharpening which is why I have it in a parameter set instead of the Adobe RGB setting. Since BB can be set to always use Adobe RGB (as E.J. pointed out) but it can't be set to always apply in-camera sharpening unless you go to another dialog window and set it for each image. That's what I was trying to explain all along, but I think I may have difficulty getting that accross..:)
Greg Downing

by TSparger on Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:40 am
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I've been reading Tim Grey's "Real World Digital Photography" this week and he recommends not adding any sharpening, brightness or contrast if shooting in RAW mode. By the way, I am only up to chapter 6 in this book, but am really enjoying it and recommend it to anyone looking for a good read.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

9 posts |