All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Jim Zipp on Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:56 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
I stopped into my local photo shop to pick up some batteries and walked out with a new Nikon Coolscan 5000 that they just got in. I haven't heard anything about them being around yet so I thought I'd pass that on.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Svein-Frode on Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:09 am
Svein-Frode
Lifetime Member
Member #:00152
I'm sure you're going to be satisfied! Hope you've got a fast computer that can take advantage of it!
Svein-Frode

by Larsen on Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:40 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Jim, please let us know what your initial observations are. I've got one on order, can't wait to get it.
_

by Jim Zipp on Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:08 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Larsen wrote:Jim, please let us know what your initial observations are. I've got one on order, can't wait to get it.
I set it up this morning and made a few scans. From this small sampling I can say that it does a wonderful job. I was using a Polaroid 4000 which I have to say, compared side by side is just as sharp but the GEM and ICE are what really make the difference. I haven't tried any "challenging" images yet. There is a new setting on there that looks to be similar to the shadow/shadow adjustment in PS that will be interesting if it works nearly as well.

No glitches in the setup and intitial running of the scanner either which is a plus. I am using it on a 3.0 machine with 1.5GB RAM and it seems to be fairly fast too.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Mark on Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:47 am
Mark
Forum Contributor
Jim,
I am very interested in your continued comparisons to the SS4000. I have a SS4000, and have been trying to decide if the Nikon will offer enough to make the investment worthwhile.

How have you found the scan times? Does the 20 second spec also include image processing or just the scan? Real world time should be the time you insert the slide to when it pops up in PS. Scan time is one of my biggest beefs with the Polaroid. A 4 slide holder takes 20 minutes to scan, process, and save the TIFFs for me.
Mark

5 posts |