All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by rajandesai on Mon May 28, 2018 9:13 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
I am little confused about focussing behavior of my 1DX. I must have changed something to cause this behavior but can't figure out what is going on.
I have "orientation linked focus" enabled and focus points (with expansion) are set off-center for both horizontal and vertical orientation. I have back-focus enabled, triggered by * button. When I press * to focus, center focus point/area gets selected and used. After releasing * button, my previously set, off-centered focus point is displayed again

Any ideas, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
RD

by WJaekel on Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I don't have the 1DX anymore so I'm not sure if I correctly got the problem. But maybe you accidentally registered the previous focus point setting by pressing the AF Point Selection button and ISO button simultaneously. To un-register the AF point, press the AF point Selection Button and the +/- exposure compensation button next to the ISO button simultaneously.

Wolfgang

by rajandesai on Mon May 28, 2018 10:24 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:I don't have the 1DX anymore so I'm not sure if I correctly got the problem. But maybe you accidentally registered the previous focus point setting by pressing the AF Point Selection button and ISO button simultaneously. To un-register the AF point, press the AF point Selection Button and the +/- exposure compensation button next to the ISO button simultaneously.

Wolfgang
I have ensured that AF point selection is not on. 

by bryantjl on Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 am
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
Rajan, are you using your “set” settings as a saved custom shooting mode C1 or C2 etc.? You can set certain AF settings together with your back focus customization with * button. Sounds like you may have that set with your * button but a different “orientation linked focus when not using the * button.

by rajandesai on Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Ok, I finally figured out what I was missing (understanding what's changed in the latest firmware can help :).
When setting back button focus - I assigned Metering and AE Start to the * button.
With the firmware (starting 2.0.3, I guess), now you can press Info button as you assign "Metering and AE Start" function to the * button.
This opens up "Details Set" options for the function. For "Metering and AE Start", you get 4 more options.

First option is "AF Start point" - if you press "Set" you are presented with 2 options:
1. Manually selected AF point - This uses the currently selected AF point
2. Registered AF point - This one uses the the "Registered" AF point.

Mine was set to option 2 - "Registered AF point". So even when my "Orientation linked AF point" was off-centered, pressing "*" button was using a "Registered AF point" for focussing.

After switching to option 1 above, the camera behaves as expected.

Now I have center point as a "Registered" AF point. With Orientation linked AF point set to off centered points, I can quickly switch between 2 points by pressing "M-Fn 2" button.

Thanks,

5 posts |