Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 36 posts | 
by Trev on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
I'm after getting a new tripod I'm thinking of the Gitzo 5 series either GT5543LS or the GT5533LS anyone have any thoughts on these especially if you've got one. Any other makes you recommend needs to be sturdy no center column and light (carbon).

Thanks in advance
Trev
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have owned two series 5 Gitzo CF tripods. They are definitely sturdy, but are overkill for all but the longest lenses, even with TC's attached. A series 4 or even 3 are enough for most camera lens combos and are significantly lighter. When I had my series 3 in one hand and series 5 in the other, the difference in weight was very noticeable. You mentioned light weight so those are my thoughts. What camera/lens combo do you need to support? Are you shooting in extremely windy conditions?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Trev on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:05 am
Trev
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:I have owned two series 5 Gitzo CF tripods. They are definitely sturdy, but are overkill for all but the longest lenses, even with TC's attached. A series 4 or even 3 are enough for most camera lens combos and are significantly lighter. When I had my series 3 in one hand and series 5 in the other, the difference in weight was very noticeable. You mentioned light weight so those are my thoughts. What camera/lens combo do you need to support? Are you shooting in extremely windy conditions?

Joe
Thanks Jo

The heaviest combo would be ef 500 with extender on a 1DX often shooting when its quite windy in coastal situations.

Do you recommend 3 or 4 section legs?
Trevor Penfold

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:32 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
In the wind, you might be better off with the 5 series. I had a four and a three section 5 series. I found the three section to be too short and I'm only 5'9". I actually added extension spikes to bring it up to a good height. You can always use the longer one at a shorter height, so I would recommend it over the three section. A super solid head is critical in the wind in addition to the sturdy tripod. I like the RRS ball head. If you were only shooting BIF with a Wimberley and not locking down the head, a 3 or 4 series tripod would suffice.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Trev on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:35 am
Trev
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:In the wind, you might be better off with the 5 series. I had a four and a three section 5 series. I found the three section to be too short and I'm only 5'9". I actually added extension spikes to bring it up to a good height. You can always use the longer one at a shorter height, so I would recommend it over the three section. A super solid head is critical in the wind in addition to the sturdy tripod. I like the RRS ball head. If you were only shooting BIF with a Wimberley and not locking down the head, a 3 or 4 series tripod would suffice.

Joe
Thanks Joe much appreciated.
Trevor Penfold

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:02 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I would never get a 5 series tripod . . . . . too heavy and too bulky! People I know who have a 5 series wish they didn't, and usually sell it for a 3 series. The GT3532LS is good choice, which is what I use. That being said, I would never buy another Gitzo tripod myself. Mine is okay, but there are also issues with it. I would buy this RRS:  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-33- ... ctions-leg   ;)

by Mike Veltri on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
Really Right Stuff is now available at B&H for those that don't know they are now carrying the line.

by Neilyb on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:36 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Quite happy with my 5 series Gitzo, mostly used with the 500 or 200-400. Wish it were a little longer at times (3 section) but it is solid. Do not find it bulky and it does travel with me quite alot. Had it 4 or 5 years and never had an issue.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote:I would never get a 5 series tripod . . . . . too heavy and too bulky! People I know who have a 5 series wish they didn't, and usually sell it for a 3 series. The GT3532LS is good choice, which is what I use. That being said, I would never buy another Gitzo tripod myself. Mine is okay, but there are also issues with it. I would buy this RRS:  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-33- ... ctions-leg   ;)
Tim, I'm guessing you would probably post a rant about how crappy the leg angle locks are a month or two after getting the RRS ;)
Under no circumstances would I ever get another RRS tripod without a complete redesign of the angle lock mechanisms.  The current design is ludicrous and a study in how NOT to engineer something.  Every tripod on the market down to about $100 has a better design.  I own an RRS and am about to retire it due to this in favor of a new 4 series Gitzo due to this completely terrible design.  The actual rotating leg locks are nothing to write home about either.  The Carbo Fiber tubes are nice and they are aesthetically beautiful and the strength to weight ratio is best in the market but from a usability standpoint, I'd take a 10 year old Gitzo over a brand new RRS and a new Gitzo is on a different plane from a 10 year old one.  BTW, I'm not anti RRS, I own a ton of their stuff and most of it is exceptional but I would never recommend a new RRS over a new Gitzo tripod.  I'd get a new Feisol long before I'd get another RRS.

You pretty much need to do this after every shoot if you want the locks to work and likely they'll stop working properly within the first hour of doing this every single time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15aNf9DaX4U
The problem is that when you walk, the locks work their way out into the widest splay angle position so when you are setting up, the leg splays way out, sometimes very quickly which not only makes it take a lot longer to set-up as you close the tripod back up and reposition the angle lock.  The little tiny single wire spring that holds tension is ludicrous and he doesn't really talk about it but you can see it in some of the pictures - it constantly comes out of position resulting in the spring loaded angle lock return not working.  The other problem is that when opening the tripod and the leg not stopping due to the tab sliding out while you walk, you run a high risk of punching yourself due to the unintended wide opening of the legs.  Like I said, and you can see from the video, this design is just stupid. :cry:

by photoman4343 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I suggest you consider an Induro carbon fiber series 4 tripod. I have one that I use with my Nikon 500mm f4 and Nikon DSLRs.

The current models to consider are the Induro GIT 404L and the GIT 404Xl. I switched to it from my Gitzo 1325 CF tripod. I bought mine new or less than $500.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-git404l.aspx

http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-git404xl.aspx

Greg Downing does not think they are as strong as a Gitzo, but I have no issues with mine for the last two years.

Joe
Joe Smith

by Porsche917 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:32 pm
Porsche917
Lifetime Member
Member #:01310
Hi Trey:

I use a Gitzo 5542 CF tripod and believe that it is exceptionally good.  The gear with which I use this tripod is typically a Canon 1DX (Mk I or Mk II) and a Canon 600 F4L USM IS (II).  This tripod is very steady, even when there are windy conditions.  But note that the tripod alone weighs a little over 6.00 lbs.  For me, this tripod weight is not a big deal; but it very well may be from your point of view.  Excluding the weight issue, there is no downside to this Gitzo Series 5 CF tripod in my view.

So far as Induro CF tripods are concerned, I have owned one Induro CF tripod and had no problems with it.  However, I think that the quality of the Gitzo CF units is significantly higher; and I ended up buying my Gitzo CF tripod after I had bought a relatively expensive Induro CF unit.  I could have saved a fair amount of money by just buying the Gitzo CF tripod in the first place.

Good luck with your selection.

Best Regards,

Roman  :D

by Bill Chambers on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:38 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:I would never get a 5 series tripod . . . . . too heavy and too bulky! People I know who have a 5 series wish they didn't, and usually sell it for a 3 series. The GT3532LS is good choice, which is what I use. That being said, I would never buy another Gitzo tripod myself. Mine is okay, but there are also issues with it. I would buy this RRS:  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-33- ... ctions-leg   ;)
Tim, I'm guessing you would probably post a rant about how crappy the leg angle locks are a month or two after getting the RRS ;)
Under no circumstances would I ever get another RRS tripod without a complete redesign of the angle lock mechanisms.  The current design is ludicrous and a study in how NOT to engineer something.  Every tripod on the market down to about $100 has a better design.  I own an RRS and am about to retire it due to this in favor of a new 4 series Gitzo due to this completely terrible design.  The actual rotating leg locks are nothing to write home about either.  The Carbo Fiber tubes are nice and they are aesthetically beautiful and the strength to weight ratio is best in the market but from a usability standpoint, I'd take a 10 year old Gitzo over a brand new RRS and a new Gitzo is on a different plane from a 10 year old one.  BTW, I'm not anti RRS, I own a ton of their stuff and most of it is exceptional but I would never recommend a new RRS over a new Gitzo tripod.  I'd get a new Feisol long before I'd get another RRS.

You pretty much need to do this after every shoot if you want the locks to work and likely they'll stop working properly within the first hour of doing this every single time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15aNf9DaX4U
The problem is that when you walk, the locks work their way out into the widest splay angle position so when you are setting up, the leg splays way out, sometimes very quickly which not only makes it take a lot longer to set-up as you close the tripod back up and reposition the angle lock.  The little tiny single wire spring that holds tension is ludicrous and he doesn't really talk about it but you can see it in some of the pictures - it constantly comes out of position resulting in the spring loaded angle lock return not working.  The other problem is that when opening the tripod and the leg not stopping due to the tab sliding out while you walk, you run a high risk of punching yourself due to the unintended wide opening of the legs.  Like I said, and you can see from the video, this design is just stupid. :cry:
Wow, this is interesting E.J.  I was just about to sell my 5 Series Gitzo in favor of getting a 3 Series RRS when I just read your reply.  Hopefully they will re-design this faulty area because I'm getting older and lugging around the 5 Series Gitzo is getting old.  Have you made RRS aware of the shortcomings of the RRS?

BTW, would you please delete my reply (immediately above this message) where I was offering my Series 5 Gitzo to someone?  I couldn't figure out how to delete me message.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Lots of people have and of course they think their design is great.  The legs constantly come loose too and their response is to just use locktite.  Well why don't they just do that at the factory.  Like I said, I'm a 20 year RRS customer and love almost everything they make but not their tripods due primarily due to the angle locks.  I have a couple of old Gitzos that have literally been to hell and back a few times and the leg angle locks work the way they did on the day they left the factory.  If you go to 3:49 in the video and pause it you will see the disassembled angle locks and the one in the lower left of the screen has the little single wire return spring - that's the crux of the problem and it is an overly complex system.  That little spring pops out of place inside the mechanism all the time (I can't keep one in place for even a single day of shooting) and that allows the angle lock to just slide out into the fully splayed position from gravity alone.  Gitzo on the other hand has no such return spring and simply uses a friction mechanism that just works, all the time, every time.  The angle lock stays where you put it until you change it.  On the RRS, even when it's working perfectly, because it is spring loaded, the angle lock doesn't stay where you last put it.  It becomes a major nuisance and after a while you just get tired of it.  If you don't need a Gitzo 5 series, then a 3 series is probably perfect for you or maybe a 4 series.  I will start using a new 4 series tomorrow.  I have deleted your earlier post as per your request.

I do understand the desire to buy an American product from a company where you can get spares easily and can actually get somebody on the phone.  This, in my opinion based on 3 years of use, just isn't the product.  I speak from my personal experience and several client's experience - my issue with it is not unique to my tripod, it is inherent in the design.

by Mike Delgado on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:33 pm
Mike Delgado
Forum Contributor
Gitzo 3532LS and I put this tripod thru hell! I use it with my D4 & Nikon 500mm lens with extender. I've tried other tripods but always come back to my 3532LS
Website
http://MikeDelgadoPhotography.com/
Join me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/mike.delgado.1466

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:46 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Over the years, I have owned at least 4 Gitzo aluminum tripods and 7 Gitzo CF tripods with no problems that required service or repair. I have not abused them nor used them in water. I never had a top plate come loose because I always have kept them well secured. That is normal maintenance. My only gripe was before the anti-rotation locks when loosening one section would loosen another at the same time. That's no longer a problem. My only wish is that they would make the appearance more like other CF products that showcase the weave, but that has nothing to do with functionality. It seems that they are still improving their products finish and composition, as demonstrated by the new Traveler series here:

http://www.gitzo.us/product/71837.10788 ... _GH1382TQD

They are getting stronger and lighter, it seems.

Joe

by Justin C on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:32 pm
Justin C
Forum Contributor
I've been using a Gitzo 5 series for over ten years (Gitzo 1548) and have no regrets whatsoever and no issues at all. I used it for many years when my longest lens was a Canon 100-400mm. Granted, it's overkill for that particular lens but I always believe you can't have too much stability. It's now used with a Canon 500mm and there have been hundreds of occasions where I've been extremely grateful for it's stability when set up inches from the edge of a high cliff top in fairly brisk winds.
I've never found it's bulk or weight a problem and frequently carry it with camera/500mm attached, slung over shoulder for anything up to ten miles at a time.
Sure it's heavier than a 3 series, but IMO the weight is something that you soon get used to and if you carry it long enough and frequent enough then you hardly even notice it.
Justin

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:33 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
GT3542XLS   I just love it. This tripod has tons of height.  4 sections but I rarely use the thinnest section.  When I need the extra height it is there for me.  The extra weight for height is not a big penalty.  I've used the 5 series 20 years ago and don't think it is really necessary. RRS tripods seem to be the darling these days.  Surprised EJ is down on it.  Then I don't like their ball heads.

Last edited by Wildflower-nut on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:RRS tripods seem to be the darling these days.  Surprised EJ is down on it.  Then I don't like their ball heads.
One thing I have found in talking to many RRS tripod owners over the years is that they have investment bias.  They spent a lot of money to get their tripod, in most cases over $1000 so it must be the greatest and it looks really cool.  But when we get past that and I talk to them about the angle locks, many will say that they are not as easy to use as they should be.  As many here that know me and read my newsletters realize, I have no investment bias whatsoever.  It's no different than people that after 8 years of substandard sensor performance on Canon cameras still do not buy that there sensors aren't as good and will call any legitimate test that doesn't support their point of view as an illegitimate test.  If I don't like something I'll say it even if I spent a lot of money on it and if it bothers me enough, I'll change to something else.  I changed from a Gitzo 3 series to an equivalent RRS because it was a bit taller and actually weighed a bit less, I have pretty much regretted the decision and now I have gotten to the point that I simply am too fed up with it to stick with it so a new Gitzo 4542LS enters service in the next few days.  I'll keep the RRS and relegate it to salt water duty sparing my new tripod from that as much as possible for as long as possible.

by ChrisRoss on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:00 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I use a 3542XLS with my 500mm f4 and 1DMkIV, more than adequate strength for that combo, Has a bonus extra leg section which comes in handy when on steep hillsides or if you just need more height.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by OntPhoto on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:55 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:I use a 3542XLS with my 500mm f4 and 1DMkIV, more than adequate strength for that combo, Has a bonus extra leg section which comes in handy when on steep hillsides or if you just need more height.
Buy more height than you think you need.  Learned that a long time ago.  I have the 3-section 300 series Gitzo and sometimes wish for more height when standing on a slope or in deep snow and the legs sink into it because it is so pointed in shape thus making the effective height of the tripod lower.  Height in a tripod is also useful when shooting up at a steep angle which I sometimes compensate by drawing the tripod legs closer together (which provides more height but is less stable). 

36 posts |