Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by 06Honda on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:33 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
I currently have Focus for my selection for these 2 menu settings:
  • AF-C priority selection:
  • AF-S priority selection:
Is this the correct or best settings for photographing birds mostly. Most of my images are good but do get some misses from time to time. Thanks for any input or advice.

by david fletcher on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
you might find this useful.. steve perry
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would set them both to Release as it allows the camera to take a picture whenever you push the shutter button.  The way you have it set will only allow a picture to be taken when whatever is under the active AF sensor is deemed to be in focus by the AF system.  Here are two simple examples why you wouldn't want that:
1. You are taking a shot where you focus on a specific area but then want to recompose, as soon as you recompose, the camera no longer sees what was under the AF sensor and won;t allow you to take a shot until you now focus on whatever is under the AF sensor after you have recomposed.  This is why you want AF-S to be on release
2.  You want AF-C to be on release because if you are shooting action, at some times during the sequence, you may not have anything that is in focus under the active AF point even though the subject which may have temporarily drifted off is still in focus.  The camera will now have to first reacquire focus before taking the next shot.

So the main reason you don't want focus as the setting is because with that setting, the camera may at times not take a picture when you tell it to if the camera thinks the active AF sensor doesn't have a focused subject under it which can happen for any number of reasons including low light, fast motion, recomposing, etc.  If you are a still life photographer and a controlled environment, then I would say Focus might be an appropriate setting but for a nature photographer I don't think it is in really any situation.

by 06Honda on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:00 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the link David will check it out. Great explanation E.J. of how AF-C & AF-S work, will keep this in mind for shooting for sure.

4 posts |