Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 37 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I would assume that by now several people have amassed a good deal of experience with the Uniqball.  How have you found it to work as a replacement for a gimbal head and ball head?  Theory sound good but you seem to hear little about it any more.

by rene on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:17 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I use the Uniqball since a good 6 months. To start with I was a bit sceptical and could not see it replacing my gimbal but instead haven't touched the gimbal head for a long time. I like the fact it is compact and I use it with the bridge. This allows me to use one camera with for example a 500mm and a camera with a 150-600 zoom simultaneously. Great for hide work and it offers a great deal of flexibility. So all in all I am very pleased.
Rene de Heer

by flygirl on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:18 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Ever since getting the new Nikon 500 f/4E, FL, ED, VR lens, a year ago, I have been using the Uniqball head with the Feisol 3442-CT tripod. Love it and the combo worked out perfectly on my recent trip to Costa Rica.

by Andy Trowbridge on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:55 pm
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
Picked one up just after they were released and use nothing else now for my wildlife stuff. Sold all my gimbal heads and levelling bases. Very happy with the Uniqball.
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by hullyjr on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:51 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
rene wrote:I use the Uniqball since a good 6 months. To start with I was a bit sceptical and could not see it replacing my gimbal but instead haven't touched the gimbal head for a long time. I like the fact it is compact and I use it with the bridge. This allows me to use one camera with for example a 500mm and  a camera with a 150-600 zoom simultaneously. Great for hide work and it offers a great deal of flexibility. So all in all I am very pleased.
Rene de Heer
Hi Rene,

Do you have a photo showing this simultaneous set-up?  I've wanted something like that when working in a blind/hide and there are subjects close & far.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by aolander on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:38 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
I bought a Uniqball but returned it because of the framing shift when tightening it down. This was when they first came out. Is this still an issue?
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Swissblad on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:59 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Thanks for starting this thread and posts - I was not aware of this system - keen to give it a try.

by rene on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:51 am
rene
Forum Contributor
hullyjr wrote:
rene wrote:I use the Uniqball since a good 6 months. To start with I was a bit sceptical and could not see it replacing my gimbal but instead haven't touched the gimbal head for a long time. I like the fact it is compact and I use it with the bridge. This allows me to use one camera with for example a 500mm and  a camera with a 150-600 zoom simultaneously. Great for hide work and it offers a great deal of flexibility. So all in all I am very pleased.
Rene de Heer
Hi Rene,

Do you have a photo showing this simultaneous set-up?  I've wanted something like that when working in a blind/hide and there are subjects close & far.

Thanks,

Jim
Hi see below link to the set-up. If any questions: let me know
Rene

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58599D70

by Swissblad on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:18 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Impressive rig, René.

by rene on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 am
rene
Forum Contributor
Thanks it works really well from a stationary position only! It is great to quickly move from a fixed focal lens to a zoom when working from a hide.
Rene

by hullyjr on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
rene wrote:
hullyjr wrote:
Rene de Heer
Hi Rene,

Thanks,

Jim
Hi see below link to the set-up. If any questions: let me know
Rene

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58599D70
Thanks for the image, just how balanced is that rig?  You can adjust the horizontal bar to compensate for differences in the weight of the two camera set-ups?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by rene on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:05 am
rene
Forum Contributor
You can only move the bar horizontally but i have it always centered in the middle so to speak. I find it pretty balanced but with 2 lenses and 2 heavy lenses fitted on the rig it is a bit heavy to move around. For me the flexibility wins.
Rene

by Neilyb on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:24 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I find my UB very felxible but not a complete replacement for a gimbal, it is great for travelling where I no longer need to take a gimbal and a ball head, but it cannot do every thing it is supposed to be perfectly. For instance it does not self right itself like a fluid head or a gimbal (when correctly balanced), it is prone to flop if you let go of the camera/lens too far in any direction... it can be tightened but this makes it harder to use. It can be a ball head too of course but I use the levelling ball part as a ball head, not the swivel part as it only moves in one direction.

However I do love the compactness, and that wins for me.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:48 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Thank you for your comments. Its very helpful. Has anyone used uniqball's panning device?

by scorless on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 pm
scorless
Forum Contributor
Check the Classified form for a used one.
Sandy Corless

by whitehead on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:08 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I bought one about 9 months ago after advice from flygirl on this forum concerning reducing weight. I could not be happier - it helps me reduce my weight and load as well as being excellent for my hide sessions.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:25 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
whitehead wrote:I bought one about 9 months ago after advice from flygirl on this forum concerning reducing weight. I could not be happier - it helps me reduce my weight and load as well as being excellent for my hide sessions.

Thanks for the comments.  It is helping me feel more confident about depending on this head for an upcoming trip.

by Steve Fines on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:55 pm
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
So I'm thinking that if weight is not an object a dedicated gimbal is still preferable?

by Andy Trowbridge on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:32 pm
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
Steve Fines wrote:So I'm thinking that if weight is not an object a dedicated gimbal is still preferable?
Personally I prefer the Uniqball over a gimbal.
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by Steve Fines on Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:00 am
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
Andy Trowbridge wrote:
Steve Fines wrote:So I'm thinking that if weight is not an object a dedicated gimbal is still preferable?
Personally I prefer the Uniqball over a gimbal.

Could I ask why? It seems that for long lenses, ignoring the weight/size as an issue, a Wimberly can do everything a UB can, but doesn't have the risk of flopping.

37 posts |