Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by dhanson on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:03 pm
dhanson
Forum Contributor
Is the Manfrotto 400 deluxe geared head a good head to buy for mounting an Astro Trac? Or is there an alternative?
I've read that a ball head is ok but for the longer lenses it might be more difficult to align properly. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

by ChrisRoss on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Looks like it would do the job, but pretty pricey and you don't need all of its features. Why don't you look at the wedge that Astrotrac offer:

http://astrotrac.com/products/astrotrac ... wedge.html
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by crw816 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:48 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
I use the wedge that Chris linked to, and polar alignment is a breeze... I have polar alignment set within 3 or 4 minutes and then move on to locating my target. For camera support I use a RRS BH55 and it supports my 300f2.8 (plus converters) without any difficulty.

If you are in the usa, OPTCorp in california is a dealer and they are great to deal with.

Does this help?
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by dhanson on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:12 am
dhanson
Forum Contributor
Thanks very much - Chris and Chris
Yes this helps very much. I hadn't even looked at the wedge, I assumed that I would need a geared head (I do have the RRS BH55). Can you tell I'm just starting out?

Again, thank you for replies.

by Diane Miller on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 am
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
I'm on the learning curve with an Astrotrac as well. Do you know about their Yahoo e-group?

I have the wedge, which could be better but it works. I have tried the TH3010 counterweight head and it is extremely awkward to lock down one aimed, and there is a lot of droop with a heavy lens like the 600, even if it is balanced. I've just gotten the RRS BH-55 which is much easier to aim and lock. Not yet sure if it limits aiming angles with the 600, or how stable the rig will be.

by crw816 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:59 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
dhanson wrote:Thanks very much - Chris and Chris
Yes this helps very much. I hadn't even looked at the wedge, I assumed that I would need a geared head (I do have the RRS BH55). Can you tell I'm just starting out?

Again, thank you for replies.

Great.  I too am just starting out with Astrophotography.  It takes a lot of patience, but is a lot of fun and very rewarding. My biggest complaint is that there are so few truly clear nights here in Vermont!!!
Chris White

by djhanson on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:40 am
djhanson
Forum Contributor
Something like an Astrotrac is not meant to support larger telephotos. In those cases it would be best to look into something like a Losmandy GM8, which is a easy to polar align using its polar scope. I've owned it in the past and it works great for widefield with larger telephotos (e.g. 200mm+). cheers, dj
Nikon D500 :: Nikon Df
============================
phoenix, az
pbase.com/scorpius

by crw816 on Fri May 01, 2015 7:21 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
Regarding hte astrotrac and larger lenses... it really comes down to how long you want exposures to be. I get perfect results with my 300mm f2.8 at 60 seconds and near perfect at 90 seconds. 2 minutes is still very very good. Ive tried it with a 1.4x and a 2.0x and still have great results at that 60 second range. With 200mm lens I can get 2 to three minutes with perfect tracking. Longer times would certainly require a more robust mount. I have not used a Losmandy GM8.
Chris White

8 posts |