All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 29 posts | 
by DOglesby on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:15 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Doug Brown wrote:Just broke the sensor of my 1Dx II using the genuine Eyelead product. I've never had a problem before, but this one is going to cost me thousands.
Yikes! I suppose it happened while pulling it off the sensor?  Did it just crack it?
Cheers,
Doug

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Whoa, what happened? Did you pull straight off or roll off? - you should roll-off.  Regardless it is scary that it broke the sensor, hopefully just the sensor cover which shouldn't be that terribly expensive.

by Jens Peermann on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:01 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
It's hard to imagine that the normal cleaning procedure uses enough force to break even the very thin glass of the filter in front of the sensor (which is what probably happened here). This sounds like an irregularity in the material that caused the glass to break. Of course, Canon is unlikely to accept that and will blame it on operator error.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Doug Brown on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 pm
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
$1700 to repair. A real drag! I've cleaned my sensors quite a few times over the years. Never had anything like this happen before.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Doug Brown wrote:$1700 to repair. A real drag! I've cleaned my sensors quite a few times over the years. Never had anything like this happen before.
Holy cow!  What was the nature of the failure?  Knowing more about the procedure you used and how the sensor failed could help us all in avoiding such an issue.  It might also be a good idea to switch from the very tacky blue Sensor Gel Stick to the orange one made for Sony which is a lot less tacky.

by Jens Peermann on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:30 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Doug Brown wrote:$1700 to repair. A real drag! I've cleaned my sensors quite a few times over the years. Never had anything like this happen before.
Interesting that Canon considers the value of that sensor to be exactly the same as the price for a new Sony a7II.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:
Interesting that Canon considers the value of that sensor to be exactly the same as the price for a new Sony a7II.
ROFLOL, since they are the same die size sensor, as long as Canon and Sony wafer and die costs are similar (in reality probably Sony has a 25% or so advantage as they are a significantly more advance semiconductor manufacturer than Canon is) they are either charging an arm and a leg for labor or have turned their repair into a profit center that nets them 50% or higher margins.

by DOglesby on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:15 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
That's encouraging.
Cheers,
Doug

by ahazeghi on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:09 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor

that sucks man! I would never  use a product on my sensor that doesn't have a no-damage guarantee policy. Hope the insurance will cover some at least. Make sure you leave a review for them! 

29 posts |