Motif: Stone and Yellow Leaf on Rock

Posted by Ken Cravillion on Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Pentax 645NII, 120mm Macro, Fuji Velvia 100F

Taken in the Porcupine Mountains State Park near Presque Isle. Lake Superior is about two feet to my right...

I love details... :)
Ken Cravillion

Posted by:
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072

by Harvey Edelman on Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:06 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
I've come back several times to look at this image and try to think of how to put this. This shows technical excellence with everything precisely where it should be and every little detail perfect. Unfortunately that's what bothers me. There's a lack IMO of any soul in the image. Cold gray rock with shapes and objects strategically placed so as to be perfect. I'd rather see something flawed but something that evokes an emotional response from me, the viewer. As an analogy this is like a musician who can play scales with military precision and with rapidity faster than a speeding bullet. Great technique but nothing that gets to your gut.

Just my take on this and in no way meant to hurt or denegrate the work. Matter of fact, I usually say nothing for fear of hurting somebodys feelings.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Michael Brown on Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:32 am
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
Color, texture, and detail are simply fabulous and I like its somewhat abstract look to it. No nits at all here!
For some reason though, looking at it further, I do wish that the rock was turned just slightly to the right and maybe running more parallel to the leaf, but that is just me! :)

Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:51 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Harvey, thank you for the honesty. The rock was already there. I added the leaf for color because I felt the image was too cold. I do have one "unaltered" without the leaf.
Ken Cravillion

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very nice - I think I would like it beter without the pebble - I love the texture in the underlying slate (?) :) Reworking this in B&W using only the green channel might be cool too.

by T Williams on Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:14 pm
T Williams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00035
Ken, nice designs and textures here! I like how the three elements are all different. Well done.
Tom
NSN 0035

6 posts |