Cold morning

Posted by Justin Case on Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Rocky Gorge in Hew Hampshire. Early Monday morning and there is frost on the ground (and this uprooted stump for that matter). Us south-texas boys don't get to see this much until January or so (for a day or 2 at the most)

Sony D717
1/80

Any comments welcomed
Justin Case

[url=http://homepage.mac.com/wintercase/]my little corner of the web...[/url]

Posted by:
Justin Case
Forum Contributor

by NDCheryl on Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:15 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Justin,

As in the case of your last image, I think you have a good, creative idea but the image does not quite do it justice. Again, I think one of the biggest issues here is the lack of DOF. At an f stop of 2.0, very little is going to be in focus. I think this shot needs a larger area that is in focus to show more detail in the frost which is your central subject. I am not familiar with the camera you are using but if possible I would suggest you use a tripod for shots like this. Nothing is moving in the image and you could shoot at a much slower shutter speed (if your camera permits it) and get significantly more DOF. You are definitely 'seeing' creatively. Try shooting these shots at several different f stops so you have a variety of images to look at to compare the effects of different amounts of DOF. Thank you for your post in FFM. I hope you are enjoying your trip.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by TSparger on Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:45 am
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I have to agree with Cheryl here Justin. I think you have a creative side to you and it could really be an asset to your photography. I think you would benefit from reading one of John Shaw's books on nature photography with regards to composition and subject matter. I hope that I have not offended you here because I didn't mean to.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by Justin Case on Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:32 am
Justin Case
Forum Contributor
TSparger wrote: I hope that I have not offended you here because I didn't mean to.
None taken.

The reason I post is to learn. I am very new to this hobby and even newer to my camera. So any advise I can get is wonderful. I just finished a John Shaw book "Focusing on Nature," and being very wet behind the ears, it seemed to lack the "whys" of his pictures. He said I took this with these settings but not I took these with these settings because...

Now I've only been through it once and may have missed that part so I am going back to read it again.

Again thank you for the advise, please keep 'em coming, and be patient.

Thanks
Justin Case

[url=http://homepage.mac.com/wintercase/]my little corner of the web...[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:08 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think this has a lot of potential. Stopping way down to the smalles aperture on that lens would give it a lot more DOF and thereby create more texture which is what B&W excels at.

5 posts |