All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by DOglesby on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:11 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
This paper is crazy good.  I love it.  I've been printing a ton on canvas lately and have fallen in love with Crystalline Satin (55 year longevity) and Lyve (matte; 100+ years).  The contrast is great.  Anyone else use this stuff?  They just released a Vibrance Baryta paper...looking forward to giving that a try.  Their customer service is outstanding too.
Cheers,
Doug

by Randy Mehoves on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:53 am
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
Yep, I use Lyve canvas and Elegance Velvet paper quite a bit. There customer service is excellent as mentioned! When Lyve was fairly new I needed a Profile for it on the 3800. I didn't see one on the website so I called customer service and they worked up one for my printer and Moab Desert Varnish coating free of charge!
I don't use too much glossy or semi-gloss paper anymore but when I need it I know where to look.
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by Bill Chambers on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:53 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I also use BC Lyve and have been very happy with it.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by bradmangas on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Martin Bailey recently done a podcast focusing on three new media from Breathing Color including Crystalline Satin Canvas. He was very impressed with the media but found out only after his initial purchase that it is not archival quality. Though lamination with Timeless or Glamour with an HVLP spray gun does increase the longevity to 75 years it was the need not to "have to laminate" that initially impressed him. He also noted that this canvas media does "require stapling" to stretcher frame or will pull loose from even Breathing Colors supplied "sticky back" stretcher bars.

All in all he noted it to be a great media but could not endorse it due to the lack of archival qualities.

Here's a link to his blog including the complete podcast. http://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/ ... dcast-380/

By the way Martin has a discount code for 20% off from Breathing Color.

Last edited by bradmangas on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by DOglesby on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
I too remember his podcast.  Without coating Crystalline Satin is 55 years.  All of their canvas should be stapled, I think, rather than relying on the adhesive mounting.  I don't think CS is unique in that regard.  It's easy enough to staple and I'd much rather go the "belt and suspenders" route than rely exclusively on adhesive.
Cheers,
Doug

by Randy Mehoves on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 pm
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
Do note that most photographic canvases will sag when stretched on frames. Some will sag in just a few short months. I have not been able to find any reasoning for why the painting canvas doesn't do this but it's well known among the Picture Framing industry that photographs printed on canvas become loose after a period of time and some within a few short months.
I worked in a Picture Frame shop and had all of my own canvas images loosen up, sag and become unsightly in a few months..............no matter what the brand of canvas.
That being said the good Frame Shops know full well how to deal with mounting canvas (fabrics)to backer board. If they are using a spray adhesive odds are they are not a very knowledgeable (GOOD) Frame Shop! I started using a tissue adhesive for fabrics in the heat press about 5 years ago and have never had a problem with de-laminating.

There is a Picture Framers website called http://www.thegrumble.com/ which many photographers can learn lots of good info about framing, archival, storage and displaying of your images.
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

6 posts |