Presque Isle, MI, Fall 2003

Posted by Ken Cravillion on Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Shen-Hao 4x5, Schneider SA 65mm f/5.6 w/center filter, Fuji Velvia 100F

This is the last rapids on the Presque Isle River before emptying into Lake Superior in about 200 more feet. I love these unique circular formations carved into the shale.

Porcupine Mountains State Wilderness Park, Upper Michigan
Ken Cravillion

Posted by:
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072

by Alan Melle on Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:44 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
This one doesn't excite me as much as most of your images do. It appears to me that there is more than one subject and neither is maximized nor dominate. As I look at this one I'm not sure if your subject was the falls or the shale with the pine needles. From your comments you apparently like the worn shale. A composition of primarily the shale would probably be more successful. As is, the falls take attention away from the shale. If the falls are your subject then there is too much shale that takes attention away from the subject. Just one opinion. I'm sure others will disagree.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I like the foreground rocks a lot here. Very nice shot.

by Kerry on Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:17 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I like this one, Ken, but you already knew that based on the transparency "preview" last Thursday afternoon in Munising. I like the cut of the foreground rock and the juxtaposing diagonals of the shale.

Two small nits...I find the lone bright spot in the foliage draws my eye a bit more than I'd like (this can probably be overcome in PS) and I find the arching dark spot (I assume that's rock) in the LRC a tiny bit disconcerting. I think the image works a little bit better to crop from the bottom to remove this. But these are minor quibbles and not of great import.

--Kerry

by Jenny Ellerbe on Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:46 pm
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
Ken, I think this is unusual and terrific. I would consider cropping from the top, eliminating the foliage and focusing on the falls and the wonderful foreground. The pine needles/shale and the little curve in the LRC really set this one apart from the pack.
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

by Kelly on Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:46 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Ken, I also like this very much. I scrolled down to "crop" a bit of the dark area from the top and liked it better. The shale, pine needles and falls work together well for you here.
Kelly O'Neill

by robert hasty on Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:58 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Love it Ken, i really like the repeating diagnol lines throughout the rocks and rapids within the image. Nice one!!

robert.........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Robert Ludwick on Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:33 pm
Robert Ludwick
Forum Contributor
Ken,

I like this shot a lot. I really like the rocks in the f/g. DOF is excellent, nice use of LF controls. My only compaint would be for some color in the background. Nice shot none the less.

Bob
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0074[/url]
"In Wildness is the Preservation of the World" Eliot Porter

8 posts |