Horseshoe Bend of the Colorado River

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
Horseshoe Bend - Colorado River, Arizona, USA
EOS 1Ds, 16-35 @ 16mm, Exp #1: 1/10 @ f/4, Exp #2: 1/320 @ f/4, ISO 100

I got extremely lucky on Monday Evening when the leading edge of clouds from a tropical storm started to move across northern Arizona arriving in the Glen Canyon around sunset. I had planned on photographing the Horseshoe Bend area right after the sun slipped below the horizon since that would eliminate the shadows in the canyon and was very happy to see the clouds light up like fire. I used the two exposure technique to capture the large dynamic range of the scene.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Bob Ettinger on Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:09 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
E.J.,

What great colors and a wonderful image.
Bob Ettinger

by DougDolde on Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:40 pm
DougDolde
Forum Contributor
Very cool shot even if it is an icon. Definately one of the best I've seen of this spot.
Doug Dolde
http://www.douglasdolde.com

by Jim Neely on Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:50 pm
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Member #:00100
What a beautiful image.

Everything about this is wonderful.

jn
[b]Jim Neely - Dripping Springs TX[/b]
jim(at)jneely.net [url=http://www.jneely.net]Jim Neely Nature Photography[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DougDolde wrote:Very cool shot even if it is an icon.
What's wrong with icons???

by Rich S on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Just another icon shot - NOT! Dramatic lighting and two shot procedure really make this stand out - yes, even for an icon.

Rich

by Ken Cravillion on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:27 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Thsi shot is super awesome!!!!! The sky is great. I love the warm light on the bend. Looks like missing UP ?Michigan wasn't so bad after all (I'm heading back up leaving 4AM).
Ken Cravillion

by matt kuchta on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:44 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
Great use of wide angle distortion to emphasize the natural shape - icon schmikon... :)

Excellent digital blend too!
-matt
NSN 0017

by Eric R Johnson on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:59 pm
Eric R Johnson
Forum Contributor
Nice job, E.J.
Eric Johnson
NSN0101

by stevebein on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:19 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Excellent. I have never been able to get this good a shot. Were you using ropes to hold you, it seems you were over the edge on this shot.
I flew back from Denver and saw the area from 6 miles up. I did not get out my camera and am still kicking myself. The whole scene, from Lake Powell, Page, the power plant and Horshoe Bend all in glorious clear air from the plane with clean windows. Now that is another thing I will regret. You did a wonderful shot here.
Keep them coming.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by walkinman on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:50 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey E.J.

I'm not a big 'icon' guy myself .. It's just not what drives my photography. Certainly, magnificent places they are, very beautiful. But, for me, I choose to photograph places where I spend some time, where I want to hang out, where I want to be, not places where I drop by to catch primelight, then move on to the next destination. For me, that's the big thing about icons .. it's the way people photograph them, not the place (or often the photograph) itself. With landscape photography, so many of these scenes are so overdone they just don't move me much anymore. Many of them, especially the canyons, don't seem to be places or subjects that are especially beautiful, but rather they simply photograph very well. I guess what's wrong with icons, for me, is they're kinda like re-writing Stairway To Heaven .. or reading an all-too familiar storyline again. Maybe the idea of making a movie sequel is better .. maybe one, but surely by the 3rd time round some of the artistry starts to be lost somewhere in the wrapping. .. I guess some folks say "stick with a good thing", and others say "it's been done, give me something new".

All that aside, this is a stunning photograph. (Am I contradicting myself now, or what? :? ). I'd actually like for a tad more room on the sides here, but it's beautiful as is. Technically, I think I'd like to see slightly more contrast between the foreground and the sky .. perhaps because I'm so used to seeing the way film records things now. But IMO, the foreground is a bit too bright compared to the sky, even if that's what the meter said it needed to be. It looks "photographed", and not perfectly natural to me. I think a deal of Galen's work had that look too, so don't take it as a bad thing! :D

5 stops of light, correct? I'm curious if you've done much comparison of using the digital blending technique (like this) to using a GND .. I'd expect a deal more saturation in the sky on a lot of images, resulting from the longer exposure (maybe under less light situations than this one). Have you seen this at all? Or seen a loss of sharpness from using GND filters over blending 2 exposures.

Cheers

Carl

by Youssef Ismail on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:49 am
Youssef Ismail
Forum Contributor
E.J.,

Your posts cease to amaze me! Maybe it is my unfamilarity with the location, but an aperature of f4? How did you maintain such DOF?
Youssef Ismail
[url=http://www.organiclightphoto.com/nsn][u]Organic Light Photography[/u][/url] [b](Website Updated 12-3-06)[/b]

[b][color=red][url=http://www.organiclightphoto.com/services/lectures.asp]See the 2007 Organic Light Photography Workshop Schedule[/url][/color][/b]

[b][i][color=green]See the world in a new light...

...Organic Light[/i][/b][/color]

by prashant on Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:45 am
prashant
Forum Contributor
This brought smile to my face. Great shot EJ.
[b]PrashanTeju Khapane[/b]
[i]Photography, Paintings & Travelogues [/i]
http://www.prashanteju.de

by Carol Clarke on Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:09 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Superb shot!

8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:54 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
What a pity that there's nothing here in Florida to even come remotely close to scenes like this. The WA lens is perfect here.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by John Zinn on Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:08 am
John Zinn
Forum Contributor
Youssef Ismail wrote:Maybe it is my unfamilarity with the location, but an aperature of f4? How did you maintain such DOF?
With a 16mm lens at f4, I come up with a hyperfocal distance of 7.55 ft which means everything from 3.25 ft to infinity would appear to be in focus.

E.J. great shot!! But isn't it cheating to use the 16-35 lens with the 1Ds :wink: :wink: That is one nice side effect of the crop factor for the digital - wider super wides! Only with one of these could you squeeze both banks of the river in a vertical.

John

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yousef, as John pointed out, at 16mm DOF is rarely an issue. The closest thing in the photo is at least 30 feet away.

Carl, thanks for your opinions on icons. I personally love to photograph some of natures greatest spectacles and pride myself in getting photos that are a cut above the usual fare in famous locations.

by Paul Skoczylas on Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:01 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
I've seen several pictures of this site, and while I've always though it was a neat location, I hadn't seen a picture of it that really moved me.

Until now.

EJ, I've seen a lot of awesome pictures from you, but I honestly think that this is one of the best photographs I've ever seen, from anyone.

This needs to be blown up as big as the resolution will allow and hung on my living room wall!

-Paul

by walkinman on Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:08 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey E.J.,

Please don't take it the wrong way here:

(a) I was simply giving my answer to the question you asked "what's wrong with icons?"

(b) As I pointed out (but perhaps it came across wrong on the web), that's not what drives MY photography. That doesn't mean it should work for anybody else. I'm sure what I do isn't of interest to most other folks too.

(c) You have some fantastic and different images of many beautiful scenes.

Cheers

Carl

by biologist on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:00 pm
biologist
Forum Contributor
EJ, love it great skies and image.. I like shooting icons myself if I can get somethign different than others.

I am heading up there myself to that area in erly November...

Eric

27 posts |