flamingos at the salaar

Posted by Gearoid on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Hi guys, first landscape post. Took this shot while on a trip to the salt lakes in the south of Bolivia a few years ago. Since it's hard to see on a pic this small, those small specks are actually flamingos which feed in huge numbers in the salt lakes here. Though not evident from my photography, it is an amazing place with exceptional opportunities for a landscape photographer (which I'm not).
I would highly recommend it to anybody. There are mineral lakes ranging in colour from a verdant green, to a bloody red. You also have expanses of desert, salt plains, and even hot springs and mudpools.

This shot was taken with a pentax, handheld, on some random print film (my original camera gear was stolen in Peru 10 days previous).
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. "
- Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983)

Posted by:
Gearoid
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A nice shot with good depth. I would wish for the camera to have been pointed more to the left thereby avoiding the chopped off mountain on the left and the large amount of mountainless space on the right.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:41 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
I like the composition but it looks soft to me. I'd like to be able to see those flamingos nice and sharp. Sorry 'bout your gear. Never nice when that happens.

by Paul Skoczylas on Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:03 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
It's all been said...

I might add that the foreground doesn't seem to do much for me. It might have been better if you had either found something of interest (e.g. a tree, bush, or rock) to put in the foreground, or left it out entirely.

It does look like a scanned print... Some contrast, saturation, and USM might improve the overall look.

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by Ken Cravillion on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:49 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Looks like a cool place.
Ken Cravillion

5 posts |