more scheimpfluggery and a thought or two

Posted by blovius on Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
full frame, 8x10 view camera, tripod, type L color negative

another of my "f8 group" photographs.

i'll throw out a couple ideas for thought (or comment) along with this photograph -

as my eye moves from the intimacy of my tacile series (f64ish in nature) to a more expansive tableaux. i am inclined to "see" very selectively.

the human eye sees selectively. it does not see a given scene in its entirety, only portions of it at a time as the eye scans a scene.

so, knowing that all photography transforms reality - even so-called straight photography - i am inclined to disagree with the notion that selective focus is generally considered more of an "effect" than total frgnd to bkgrnd sharpness achieved with a small aperture and the "correct" use of the scheimpflug principle (or wide-open aperture vs stopped-down aperture for you small-formaters).

both approaches play with our perception of reality. i see the f64 school as very literal, and, for lack of a better term, the f8 (large format only) school (pictorialism?) much more lyrical.

or something like that. yes? no?

speak up out there.

AdirondackLight
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

Posted by:
blovius
Forum Contributor

by Ken Cravillion on Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:11 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Interesting... I like how your choice of movements forces us to look where you want us to look. My eye keeps getting drawn to the center.

Unrelated: I've been playing with a 6x17 back for my 4x5. Pretty cool, panos with movements!
Ken Cravillion

by Alexandre Vaz on Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:27 am
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
I like it a lot.

by Alexandre Vaz on Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:28 am
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
I like it a lot.

4 posts |