Under the Arch - a different perspective...

Posted by Lin Evans on Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Canon EOS-1DS, Sigma 15-30@15mm, ISO 100, F8 1/400th. Shot in RAW and converted with -2 +2 for optimal dynamic range. Combined in PhotoShop.

Lin

Last edited by Lin Evans on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Lin Evans
Forum Contributor

by Alexandre Vaz on Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:24 pm
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Welcome aboard Lin, great first post. Very dramatic angle, congrats.

by TSparger on Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:35 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
A different perspective indeed. I think you have done a great job here and I really like the image. Those clouds are great.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Welcome to NatureScapes Lin. A very nice shot and a unique perspective.

by Lin Evans on Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:05 pm
Lin Evans
Forum Contributor
Hi Guys,

Thanks! Every once in a while I just get a bug to do it differently. This one required about a half hour hike and climb with no trail to get up under the arch, but it was fun to get a different perspective. If I were 20 years younger it would have been more fun :-) Hard to hold the camera still when I'm huffing and puffing - HA!

E.J., I wondered where you and Greg had dissapeared to - I stop by the NP Online Magazine every so often and the last few times there were a number of old timers missing. I haven't seen Dan Creighton around there either. Now I know where some of you are! Nice job you've done here - congratulations!

Best regards,

Lin

by Neil Fitzgerald on Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:54 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Cool perspective all right. From the thumbnail I thought it was looking down into waves. Had to reorient myself when it loaded.

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:14 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
I really like the view. Nice job on a different shot. Good PS work too.
Ken Cravillion

by BrianS on Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:59 pm
BrianS
Lifetime Member
Member #:00196
Well Done -- love the angles and perspective.

Question? Is this two images combined?
[b]Brian Spangler[/b]
[url=http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net][b][u]http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net[/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm][b][u]NSN 0196[/u][/b][/url]

by Lin Evans on Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:35 pm
Lin Evans
Forum Contributor
Hi Neil, Ken, Brian,

Thanks! Brian, it's a single exposure captured in RAW and converted to tiff twice, then combined in PhotoShop for optimal dynamic range. The first conversion used -2 exposure compensation whicl the second used +2 exposure compensation. By using the two extremes highlights were preserved for the sky and shadow detail revealed for the arch and canyon wall. The two were then placed in separate levels in Photoshop and combined to reveal the shadow detail in the rocks and the cloud detail in the sky.

A similar procedure can be used by taking two separate exposures and exposing for highlights in one and shadows in the other, but doing that requires a tripod which I couldn't carry or actually even use because I was standing against the cliff wall on about a 45 degree slope of solid rock when I took the shot. So converting with -2+2 allows the next best way of getting the most dynamic range. Fortunately the 1DS captures a great deal more detail than can be revealed by a single curve. Often people get the mistaken impression that pro-level digital only has similar dynamic range to color transparency film, but the 1DS actually captures over 8 stops. The new 1D Mark II actually captures slightly over 9 stops. As with any digital, one needs to "shoot to the right" or expose for highlights because shadow detail can nearly always be revealed but blown highlights can't be recovered. In this case I was very close to blowing the highlights on the brighter portion of the clouds which are about 251, 251, 251 - right at the ragged edge of detail loss.

Best regards,

Lin

by Harvey Edelman on Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:49 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Fine image. Nothing else to add as it's all been said.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by DougDolde on Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:48 pm
DougDolde
Forum Contributor
Great shot with a unique perspective. I think I'd crop out some of the overexposed sky on the right however.
Doug Dolde
http://www.douglasdolde.com

11 posts |