Moderator: Carolyn E. Wright

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by jnadler on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:26 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Can anyone make some recommendations based on experience on what makes an engaging public photo slide show that does not end up boring to the audience? Have not done these in years and wondering if now out of style. I used to use PicstoExe and show nature images for about a 20 minute program with images of 7 seconds each, all set to music vs. a narrated talk.  Blending stills and video was more complicated with the sound track and the still Ken Burns style motion on each being potentially overdone.

Thoughts on successful program length, mix of video and stills, etc appreciated.
Jeff Nadler
Jeff Nadler Nature Photography
Moose-loons-325 bird species-Adirondacks

by Jeff Pearl on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:34 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I would say the approach would be different depending on if the target audience is online or attending a show in person. If online, Animoto, Adobe Spark, Photopia, etc. ( http://www.photodex.com was good but they are closing down at end of 2019) all offer methods of creating slide shows or virtual tours like you see in real estate listings. If in person, I see photographers using the same approach as painters/artists. They have prints made, and enter them in shows at wineries, galleries, government buildings, offices, historic mills, etc. But most galleries charge 25-40% of the sale price when a work is sold, and some even charge an fee to enter your work in the show. I personally don't like the music and usually silence it, and the slide show should also have a way to pause the show in case I want to look at a photo for more than 5-7 seconds.

by jnadler on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:26 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Jeff Pearl wrote:
I would say the approach would be different depending on if the target audience is online or attending a show in person. If online, Animoto, Adobe Spark, Photopia, etc. ( http://www.photodex.com was good but they are closing down at end of 2019) all offer methods of creating slide shows or virtual tours like you see in real estate listings. If in person, I see photographers using the same approach as painters/artists. They have prints made, and enter them in shows at wineries, galleries, government buildings, offices, historic mills, etc. But most galleries charge 25-40% of the sale price when a work is sold, and some even charge an fee to enter your work in the show. I personally don't like the music and usually silence it, and the slide show should also have a way to pause the show in case I want to look at a photo for more than 5-7 seconds.

In person
Jeff Nadler
Jeff Nadler Nature Photography
Moose-loons-325 bird species-Adirondacks

by mikeojohnson on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:04 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I use Fotomagico and mix short videos for background with the images.
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Jeff Pearl on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:20 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I've been to several painting and photo art shows and displays for several years, and I have never seen a slide show at any of them. Most photo displays are at galleries, county and government buildings, historic mills, fairs, etc. The shows last from 2-3 days to 1 month or more. There are usually several artists who participate at most of them. Some places do focus a specific artist and hang their work for up to one month. For comparison, I went to a photographers show in Leesburg not long ago. The photos were small, awful, and overpriced in my opinion. We didn't stay long. A couple weeks ago we went to the Historic Building Museum in Washington DC. There were several photos there for a show called " Hoops" by Bill Bamberger.  The "Hoops" display was the best photography show I've ever seen. If I were you, I would attend as many art shows in your area as you can and see what others are doing and what's selling. Check out sketch clubs, galleries, fairs, local businesses, etc,. My guess is you won't see slide shows anywhere. Quality photos and prints seem to be the most popular in this area. Hoops Exhibition - Photos

5 posts |