All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by flygirl on Tue May 28, 2013 5:20 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Which companies are people using for workshop insurance?  I just want one for a per workshop cost, not one with a year around cost.

Thanks
Nancy

by Royce Howland on Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Nancy, I think you're unlikely to find a per-event insurance package unless you had some specialized (i.e. high $) type of event going on. Phone around to a couple of insurance brokers and get pricing on a $2M commercial general liability policy. Depending on what types of risks you're trying to cover, or what you're being required to carry by some other party (like an agency issuing you a license or permit to operate a workshop), a basic CGL policy might do what you need. I've only ever encountered CGL policies on an annual coverage basis, but at least that would give you a ballpark on costs.
Royce Howland

by flygirl on Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Thanks Royce for the info!

by Carolyn E. Wright on Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 pm
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
My insurance is with http://www.tcpinsurance.com/.
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by BobD on Wed May 29, 2013 5:41 am
BobD
Forum Contributor
Liability insurance is certainly required by the national park service for issuance of a permit(CUA)to operate a workshop on park property. All the policies I've seen are for a year at a time. FWIW I use HISCOX... www.hiscoxusa.com... as my provider.

by bretedge on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:07 pm
bretedge
Forum Contributor
Member #:01195
I use American Family Insurance for workshop liability insurance. My workshops/tours are on BLM land, national and state parks - all of which require liability insurance. I only pay around $400/year for the coverage so it's really quite reasonable. Good luck to you!

by jeff Parker on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:51 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
Hiscox won't cover if you offer tours outside the US. I'm still looking if anybody has a suggestion.

by Jared. Lloyd on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:37 am
Jared. Lloyd
Forum Contributor
Insurance for workshops is kind of a pain in the arse. I have been through a bunch of different insurance companies. I am open, honest, and lay all my cards on the table. I get insured. Then 2 months later, I would be dropped because they FINALLY decided to actually take a look at what I do and then decide they cannot cover it. I finally had to just go with a guiding insurance policy.

Farmers, Liberty, Travelers, etc. . . they will drop you as they do not have a policy that will cover what you are ACTUALLY doing.

You will need to get a guide policy which will run you about $1,500 but will cover you all over the entire globe.

Its really ridiculous given that these are policies that are written for companies leading multi day unsupported background trips on horse back while carrying high powered rifles.....obviously this is VERY different than what any photographer is doing. But... whats really the most important thing here is that your butt is covered no matter what and no matter where. The last thing you want to happen is to actually have someone file a claim against you and your insurance company argue that they did not know you were doing EXACTLY what you were doing and then not cover you.

So in researching for this find guiding or guide insurance. I have been dropped by 5 big name insurance companies until I realized this.

by jeff Parker on Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:21 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
I could not even get guide insurance. Once they heard that my clients were carrying cameras instead of guns, all bets were off. Do photographers have a reputation as being accident prone?

I had to go back to the only company that would insure me, Insure America (although they have now changed names). It's insurance for tours and covers me internationally. $1800 per year.

by Jared. Lloyd on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 pm
Jared. Lloyd
Forum Contributor
That's interesting Jeff. DO you mind if I ask you who exactly you were trying to get guide insurance with? There are a variety of companies that offered it to me with the knowledge that I was traveling all over the world, doing workshops based on boats, etc. . .

by jeff Parker on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
I don't remember off hand, but it was several different companies. When faced with the idea of clients carrying cameras they simply did not know what to do.

by jeff Parker on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:55 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
Back on the insurance-go-round. The National Park Service will not accept my insurance even though the coverage exceeds their minimum. The problem is that it's labeled Professional Liability instead of General Commercial Liability. And as previously mentioned, once the carriers find out my clients are photographers all bets are off. They won't even quote me.

Jared, would you share what company you got your insurance through?

by Royce Howland on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
The NPS won't accept a Professional Liability policy because it isn't the same thing as a Commercial General Liability policy. CGL is something completely different, and it's the latter that just about any organization requires to permit commercial activity. If you run workshops I'd have thought you should be able to find a CGL policy without that much trouble. I've had several from different underwriters over the years up here in Canada, and it has never been an issue getting one for the type of photo workshops and tours I do.

Since the insurers I've dealt with are Canadian they can't help you down there. (If other Canadians need the referral, just contact me and I'll pass along the info.) I'm not sure why it would be any harder finding such coverage in the USA. Find a good commercial insurance broker and ask them to search for options, they should know where to go to find the right kind of policy.
Royce Howland

by jeff Parker on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:12 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
I've had the same experience as Jared. At the mention of cameras the insurers have nothing to offer. My PL policy covers bodily injury liability and surpasses the requirements of the NPS. I don't think they even bothered to read the policy. It wasn't labeled CGL so end of story.
Plenty of insurance available for hunting guides, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, etc. Photo tour? Heavens no! Way too dangerous!!

14 posts | 

People Who Like This: