fbpixel

Yucatan Nightjar (Belize)

Posted by Dorian Anderson on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
I'm just back from a 10-day trip to Belize and Guatemala. There wasn't a ton of time for photography since it was a press trip to promote birdwatching/ecotourism in the two countries, but I did manage to squeeze out a few frames in between very long days of birding (saw 311 species in 9 days!).

I have been doing quite a bit of travel writing lately as I was also in Spain 3 weeks ago. If anyone has an interest in my birding, bird photography, and eco-travel blog you can find it (The Speckled Hatchback) at http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com. The blog is not a money making venture, though it is a conduit through which I maintain and build my presence in the birding community. If I'm breaking any rules here, just let me know.

As for the image, the Yucatan Nightjar is a very shy nocturnal bird with a range restricted to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and neighboring Belize. We spotlighted this guy from our vehicle on a night drive. Though 75 yards out into a field when we spotted him, he permitted quite close approach once we got out of the vehicle.

I suck with flash since I never use it (and don't like using it), but I was very happy with this result.

Canon 400mm f/4 IS on EOS 1 DIV
1/300 at f/5.6, ISO 1600, Speedlight/BetterBeamer

Cheers!

Dorian

Posted by:
Dorian Anderson
Forum Contributor

by leigha on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm
leigha
Forum Contributor
Very nice image, Dorian. (flash controlled well).

by Karl Egressy on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Lovely image, Dorian.

by mikullashbee on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor
Wow. Very cool bird in a very challenging setting. As nice as it can get for a night shot using flash i'd say, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself for your flash work it looks good here. I know exactly what you mean when you say you don't like using flash though and i am generally the same. Thanks for the details too. Cheers
Thanks for looking,
Michael Ashbee
mikeashbeephotography.com

by Gene Gwin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Member #:02042
Dorian, Nice one!

by LynnS on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm
LynnS
Forum Contributor
Dorian, amazing looking bird and image with lots of color marking details and textures captured.  What large eyes, hinting at their nocturnal inclination.
Lynn
MLS Shorebirds & More Gallery

by Denis55 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:18 pm
Denis55
Forum Contributor
Great bird to have,and excellent flash work!

7 posts |