Rule-breaking Theme: Black-necked Stilt

Posted by jdown on Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Taken last April at Bolivar flats along the TX coast. I've always liked the early morning light on this Black-necked Stilt, and even put the photo in my website travel diary, but there's no detail in the blacks and you can't see the eye, which I've always thought was a no-no. Comments & criticism??
Canon D60, 500mmIS + 1.4TE, 1/200" f9, ISO200.

Posted by:
jdown
Forum Contributor

by AlexC on Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:19 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
The best opportunity for a touch of fill-flash, I love back-lit subjects, most times the rim lighting helps define the edges even more, the right amount of fill can make them glow, Nice bird and nice detail, pretty good exposure as well!! Congrats!! 8)
BTW, took the liberty of playing with your image and tried to make it look as if kissed by fill-flash, if done properly it makes a lot of difference!!
Hope you don't mind me altering your shot!!
Still, wonderful as is!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

Last edited by AlexC on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Juli Wilcox on Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:48 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
James, I think it might be possible to bring out the mercury more in that light and emphasize the sharp angles of the legs, tail feathers and beak by increasing contrast very carefully. There is some detail in the black which might be brought out if that is what you would like to see. I don't find the rules you mention as necessary at all; I think the effect of the photo should be the sole purview of the photographer unless shooting for someone else. :)
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Bill Whala on Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:19 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Aside from needing a slight CCW rotation I really like the image as you have presented it. The lack of a catchlite seems to work with this composition since the subject is backlit. Very nice. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Harvey Edelman on Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:03 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Nice pose and diagonal. IMO just needs a bit more punch.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

5 posts |