Night stalker

Posted by DC on Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Lion
Okavango Delta, Botswana, Jul '03
EOS3, 300F4L IS, Provia 100F, 500EX, Handheld.

I seem to have more ducks than anything else at the moment :roll:

Dug this one out from our Botswana trip this year.

We had located the lions in the early evening and decided we were going to stay with them for most of the night. We thought we were going to see a kill when they came upon a herd of impala. But after sitting around for twenty minutes, the pride moved off. They would walk along for a while then just lay down. There were nine females and two young males. This is one of them as he came past our vehicle around 11pm. It was shortly after that that we decided to call it a night as we had a forty minute drive back to camp.

The killer is that we caught up with them at around 8am the following morning only to find the small remains of a zebra :roll: :evil: :evil:

Comments welcome and thanks for looking.
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

Posted by:
DC
Regional Moderator

by Dennis Olivero on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:34 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Nice shot under difficult (no) lighting conditions.. I enjoyed the story also, except the part you missed the zebra.. Thanks for the post
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Jill on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:49 am
Jill
Forum Contributor
I like the serenity of this shot, Dave. What I'm wondering is where did any light come from? Perhaps truck headlights? Happy holidays!!
Jill Rosenfield

by Carol Clarke on Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:03 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What an experience that was!! Out in the African night and surrounded by a pride of hunting Lions. It was truly amazing and we humans (just four of us) saw the most wonderful animals and incredible stars in the velvet black sky.

This shot certainly brings it all back Dave - not that I shall ever forget my African adventures!! :) I am counting the weeks until we go again! :D
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by DC on Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:16 am
DC
Regional Moderator
Jill wrote:What I'm wondering is where did any light come from? Perhaps truck headlights?
Nope, purely the hotshoe mounted flash with a better beamer

The spotlight we used had a red filter over it, apparently animals can't see red light. This gave just enough light for focusing.

A previous evening I had tried to take pictures of some hyena cubs at their den, but with the camera in Av mode, the shutter was open for way too long. I was clearly doing something wrong. For this one and others I just put the camera in auto mode and fired. Not very clever, but it worked :)
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by JSnyder on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:45 am
JSnyder
Lifetime Member
Member #:00213
Good catch Dave! I was suprised how quickly the light in Africa went and how much full flash photography I was forced to do (although I was not as succesful as you). I would urge everyone going to Africa to practice their flash photography to be ready for situations like this.
Jeff Snyder
Union, Kentucky

by moose henderson on Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:40 pm
moose henderson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00193
nice shot for extreme conditions.

by NDCheryl on Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:19 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Great shot for being in the dark. I'll bet it was quite an experience being among the lions in the dark.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by walkinman on Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:46 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Dave,

This shot tells me almost the whole narrative that you wrote about .. a sign of a great shot.

Perhaps a tad more room for his tail.

Cheers

Carl
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

9 posts |