Running Bull Moose in Snow

Posted by Tim Grams on Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Taken last Saturday when we had our first measurable snow in the mountains near Anchorage. The snow was a bit of a surprise, but it made for some good pictures. This guy was busy keeping track of the half dozen cows that he had rounded up.

I'm not sure if this is a bit too blurred. The bull was running quite fast when I shot this. Due to the heavy snow, it was manually focussed.

All comments greatly appreciated.

70-200/2.8 and maybe a 1.4 TC, Velvia 50 pushed to 100, most likely at f2.8 or 4, shutter speed unrecorded.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

Posted by:
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164

by Carol Clarke on Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:53 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
This picture just says COLD!!!!!!!! to me. The further I sit back from the monitor - the more detail I can see in this image. If I look closely I don't see much detail at all.

I think for my own personal taste I would prefer the Moose to show a little more detail, at least in the head - but shooting in these conditions I don't know what more you could have done. Maybe the experts would like to say and it would be interesting to know.

:)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by NDCheryl on Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:33 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
:shock: :shock: Really cool (no pun intended) shot. I love the sense of motion in this shot. While it would be nice to more clearly see the head, the shape and the rack clearly identify it for what it is. I would consider cropping some off the bottom though to make it more pano as I think it accentuates the feeling of movement. Thanks for posting in FFM.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Cliff LeSergent on Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:43 am
Cliff LeSergent
Forum Contributor
Great shot, Tim!

My perspective on this is a bit different than the previous comments. I don't think we need to see more detail in the moose, because everyone here knows what a moose looks like, and there's no mistaking what this is. This image goes beyond a simple identification shot of a moose and imparts a sense of action and feeling.

Seeing this photo and reading the first comments reminded me of an essay by the late Galen Rowell, when he talked about "mature" images - where the audience clearly recognizes the subject, and a unique photograph is required to make an otherwise ordinary subject more interesting. I think you've succeeded in doing that here!
Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
http://www.imageswest.ca

by Rocky Sharwell on Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:56 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I really like this! I can feel the cold here in hot and humid Florida.
Rocky Sharwell

by Bob Ettinger on Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:40 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Tim,

Cool, maybe a little off the bottom to where the bushes start.
Bob Ettinger

by Dennis Olivero on Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:20 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Unique shot Tim, congratulations. I agree with the comments of the others regarding knowing fully that this is a moose by the horns. Motion shots are tough to do right IMHO and I think this is good. When I did harp seals in the snow storm I lost alot of detail when the snow was blowing across the face. It is inevitable. If you had the time and the inclination, you could blow up the face area, and look at the key landmark spots like the eye, nostril and tip of the nose. Attempt to make these areas just slightly more distinct to give our eye a "lock in" on where things begin and end. This would probably involve cloning out some of the snow here and there and maybe a little darkening of the moose to bring it slightly up out of the background. My eye just gets a little lost at the end of the nose where it all fades into snow and background. I honestly don't know if it will help or not.. by your remarks you were unsure if the face was enough clear also.. I tried this on some of the harps and ended up deleting them because it just made it worse, on others I think getting the eye cleaned up helped.. Just my usual rambling thoughts Tim. Excellent experience with an excellent image to remember it by..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Jenny Ellerbe on Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:38 pm
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
Tim, This is a really neat "art" print (whatever that really means). I like the fact that it is blurred and the snow is heavy and it doesn't look like any other moose shot that I have ever seen. Congrats on such a unique image!!!
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

by John Pennoyer on Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:49 pm
John Pennoyer
Forum Contributor
This is a great image as is Tim! From my view point nothing needs to be done to this image. I like the cold feeling to it and the blurring affect adds tremendous amount interest to the image. When it is snowing as hard as it is being in person you would not seen anymore detail. Great capture!
John P
http://www.impressionsofnature.net

by Rich S on Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:51 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Like this as is. That rack looks very sharp so I'm guessing that the head is pretty sharp as well, only hidden a bit by the snow. Dennis's suggestion might work well if that's the case. Cliff also makes a good point! Might have a bit of a color cast, or then maybe it's just me having a long day.

Rich

by Kelly on Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:10 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Tim, very unusual, creative and artistic! :D Great timing to catch this. The way the snow is accumulating along his back and filling the rack really helps the photo. I can see the eye and nose relatively clearly through the snow, or maybe I'm just imagining them. One tiny nit - I think I'd prefer more room above and less below, especially since the background seems a bit sharper than the foreground.
Kelly O'Neill

11 posts |