Bull elk portrait

Posted by bobsmith on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
I've been following this one bull elk and his harem for the past 3 days. This bull is 6 points on each side, but the rack has tremendous spread, which makes it more difficult to get it all in the image! (And yes, I cut off the very bottom of the back leg again!, probably from trying to zoom a bit too tight on the elk.) There is nothing quite like standing in front of a large bull elk when he raises his head for a full bugle, which is more like a loud whistle. Each bulll's bugle is different and while many believe the bull rounds up the cows, its the cows that choose the bull based largely on the strength and tones in that bugle call.

I felt this one had merit for the pose and environment. This image shows the elk as we generally see them late in the evening with lots of shadows or low light as the sun is near setting and the air is cooling quickly. This is when the elk come out of the trees and begin feeding throughout the evening and into the early morning. I hope you have enjoyed this series of elk images over the past week....

Nikon D1x, 70-200 VR + 1.4 TC, ISO 250, 1/60 sec, f5.6

Posted by:
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:29 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Another nice one Bob, sharp also for 1.60th ... Tough light situation.. well handled. In PS I might darken a little the lighter area on the rump and the light in the trees just above the head.. Nice work as usual, excellent subject. Keep em coming.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think you did well given the lighting here. I love the pose!

by Lerkes on Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:33 am
Lerkes
Lifetime Member
Member #:00178
Bob - you sem to know a lot about elk. Do you have any idea why the bull elk's bugle is so unique among the deer family? Don't deer and moose just have a grunt? I suppose the bugle has a much farther range to attract cows or challenge other bulls but wouldn't the deer and moose also want this advantage? It's got to be one of the greatest sounds in nature.
Steven J Berkowitz, VMD
Kirkwood, PA
http://www.pbase.com/lerkes

by Carol Clarke on Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:55 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I agree with Dennis on wanting to darken the odd bright spots in this image, but that's my only minor nit in this fine shot Bob! Classic pose in gorgeous light and I'm so pleased you didn't blur the BG too much in this shot, as it makes an important part of the whole scene for me. 8) 8) 8) 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by TSparger on Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:15 am
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I like this image. The bright spots don't bother me too much, but I would like a little lighting on the head to draw more attention to that part of the image.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by bobsmith on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:36 pm
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
Lerkes wrote:Bob - you sem to know a lot about elk. Do you have any idea why the bull elk's bugle is so unique among the deer family? Don't deer and moose just have a grunt? I suppose the bugle has a much farther range to attract cows or challenge other bulls but wouldn't the deer and moose also want this advantage? It's got to be one of the greatest sounds in nature.
Why do they do it?

Due to a higher mortality rate among males, antlered bull elk are outnumbered about 4 to 1 by females by the time they reach age 5. Competition is high among surviving males to pass on their genetic bounty, and each cow is in estrus for only about 17 hours every 21 days. Come fall, males round up a harem. They go after each female when it emits a scent signaling it is fertile.

The male's "bugle," and other behavior, is said to relieve stress from swollen necks and shoulders and keep other males away from their harem.

7 posts |