Red Fox with Diner…

Posted by cogard on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
I saw this guy hunting up on the summit of Loveland Pass. I was able to sneak up on him and got several shots before he finally noticed me hiding in the brush. Just wish I would have stood up for this shot so I wouldn’t of got the oof foreground…oh well, I think it makes a good environmental shot…looks like he has a Pika, a small rodent that loves to live above timberline.
Focal Length - 420 mm
Exposure Time - 1/125 sec
Aperture - f/7.1
ISO Equivalent - 200
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM with 1.4 extender
Almost full frame.
Handheld
Charlie O.
http://www.pbase.com/cogard

Posted by:
cogard
Forum Contributor

by Dennis Olivero on Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:19 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Charlie
Very nice image. I personally like the oof along the frame edge and the lower perspective usually is successful compared to a down angle. Gets us in "their world". Light is perfect for the subject and comp successful, subject out of center. Add to that the behavior (hunting) with a brief look back to you and you have a very successful image. For web viewing, I wouldnt mind another hit with the unsharp mask, but sharpening is always personal preference. Maybe a little head motion that 1/125 couldnt stop...Good work.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:57 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I'm with Dennis on this one Charlie, its a lovely image and the OOF foreground doesn't detract from that. I would prefer to see a little more room for the feet and a touch more USM, but apart from that its well composed and a great catch of this behaviour!!
8) 8) 8) :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Bob Boner on Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:22 pm
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
I agree with the others about the FG. In addition to a little more USM, I would try a little more saturation. I like this behavioral image a lot. Thanks for sharing.
Bob Boner

by Rich S on Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:35 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Wonderful capture, the rodent in the mouth and the look right at you are great. Composition works for me as it stands. You might try a small boost in contrast as well as the other suggestions.

Rich

by bobsmith on Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:46 pm
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
Very nice composition! I agree, there is so much to like in this image. Capturing this one during the hunt is special...

6 posts |